w.Intercom = i;Heat Pump Optimizer - hot water heating only once a day during cheapest hour — tado° Community

Heat Pump Optimizer - hot water heating only once a day during cheapest hour

My hot water boiler usually only needs to be heated once a day, thanks to its good insulation. However, the current hot water optimizer heats the water during a set period, which isn’t always efficient. Although you can adjust the heating duration, it might not align with the cheapest energy hour if it’s preset in the afternoon.

Ideally, the hot water should heat once during the cheapest hour and be smart enough to predict usage and determine the optimal heating time.

I’m not impressed with the current implementation of the Heat Pump Optimizer X. With Home Assistant, you can significantly optimize heating. I was hoping for a more user-friendly version that perhaps uses machine learning to refine the heating curves. Unfortunately, this product does very little, and a few automations in Home Assistant can replicate its functions even better.

1 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Rob
    Rob Admin
    edited August 8

We have tado Balance for what you're asking for, which is mostly meant for heat pump users. This will automatically adapt your heating and domestic hot water production to a energy tariff. Especially a dynamic energy tariff. Not to save kWh as its main goal, but to save energy costs by heating when electricity is cheapest.

It also looks at outdoor temperature, as heat pump efficiency also depends on outdoor temperature. This is also beneficial for those heat pump users who do not have a dynamic tariff.

The heat pump optimizer without Balance is there to save energy. Save kWh by optimizing the heat curve dynamically based on outside temperature and on heating demands.