w.Intercom = i;How do you prepare for cold weather? — tado° Community

How do you prepare for cold weather?

Emcee
Emcee Admin
edited September 27 in General Questions & Topics

Hello community,

Although summer is not over quite yet, cold weather will soon be upon us. As a means to help our community members prepare for this time of year, we wanted to create a thread to gather your ideas on the best ways to ensure a comfortable tado° Home throughout the 2024/25 ‘cold’ season.

In previous years, our newsletter recommended that tado° users undertake the following steps to verify their set-up was fully functional following the summer months (in order to ensure immediate access to tado° support or technicians should assistance be needed, these steps ought to be performed in anticipation of cold weather rather than when cold weather first occurs):

1. Make sure your boiler is switched on.
  2. Open the tado° app and select the first room you want to check. 
  3. Once in the room screen, manually boost the heating to 25 degrees using the slider. 
  4. Touch your radiator or underfloor heating to make sure it’s getting warm.
  5. Turn off manual control. 
  6. Repeat steps 2 to 5 for each room in your Home. 

We are curious to know if any of you have done the above over the years. Were these steps helpful?

Are there any other tips you’d like to share? Please don’t hesitate to do so below 🙂

Comments

• royi
    royi ✭✭✭

Alternative is to service your boiler on a yearly basis to ensure your boiler is worker properly and all radiators are heating to the necessary temperature.

• wateroakley
    wateroakley Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 1

@Emcee Nowadays, we go around the rads and valves to look for any evidence of leaks over the summer and check that the TRV pins move freely. One leaky TRV in the lounge to replace (fair enough, it's 13 years old). The Gas Safe engineer is booked in mid-September for the annual boiler service and safety check.

• Having moved in to a new build recently we are finally looking at getting smart heating to prepare for the colder months ahead.

Not had smart heating before, so am apprehensive, but Tado seems are favoured provider with the limited research done thus far

• Hello @Portlanders

Welcome to the community 🙂

Our Help Centers may be helpful to your research. We have…

- 1 Help Center for the V3+ generation
    - 1 Help Center for the X generation

As these generations are not compatible, you'll have to decide which of these is best suited for your home.

Please don't hesitate to get in touch with tado° support in order to perform a compatibility check with your current heating set-up. They can suggest which devices to purchase.

• Charge batteries for TRVs.
    Make sure all radiators are bled.
    Check Magnacleanse is clean.
    This year at least, add extra inhibitor.
    Check boiler pressure.
    Perform air purge cycle.
    Make sure Tado parameters are adjusted from summer settings to something suitable for autumn. I do get quite creative in my methods.

I do not test fire the heating. As we have a combi boiler I know the pump works, the boiler fires and the diverter valve functions.
  • FFM
    FFM ✭✭

Central heating. What I do is turn Tado on when it gets too cold. That is pretty much it. No change in the last 4 years ;)

• I wouldn't bother, the system is useless, clunky and works when it decides to. Customer service is one of the worst ever, total useless and I'm sending all of mine back. Multiple times I've had no heat when using the app remotely even though it's showing activity, the controller is on, yet it fires the boiler when it fancies it. Sometimes resulting in a hard mains reset. Customer service taking 3 days to respond with regards to heating is not acceptable. System is junk and I'm now on a mission to make sure folks know
    about how terrible this kit is