w.Intercom = i;Internet Bridge local API — tado° Community

Internet Bridge local API

It’d be great if it were possible to interact with the Internet Bridge using a local API so that requests don’t need to be made via the internet. Presumably there’s some kind of http server on the device as HomeKit is able to communicate with it locally?
4 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• You can do exactly this with Homekit / Home assistant. You don't need the bridge as HK or HA or any other compatible service will discover your HK compatible devices directly.

The Tado bridge is a gateway to retrieve system information (devices, scheduling, extra features etc) from the tado API end point and "translate" that into HK compatible "instructions" sent to your Tado devices. In other words, the bridge and Homekit serve exactly the same purpose - but because the bridge is Tado ecosystem it is of course easier to use.

Looks like Tado have just released an offline mode for V3, so there's probably little need to do this now.
  • I believe you are mistaken the internet bridge is required for communication between Tado products and Tado clients/HomeKit as it needs its 868 MHz radio.

I get that you can use Home Assistant and the HomeKit Device integration for offline functionality but I don’t want to have to set up a whole new controller for this nor do I want to maintain scheduling in another system when we’re happy using the Tado app.

It’s excellent that Tado have released the offline mode for v3 and I’m looking forward to it being enabled on our system but I would appreciate being able to edit that schedule locally 🙂