w.Intercom = i;From Nest to Tado (Wired v Wireless and UK v EU) ? — tado° Community

From Nest to Tado (Wired v Wireless and UK v EU) ?

I tried read similar posts but for sure still confused, sorry.
Originally Tado said it is ok to get the Wired version then, next day, that I should get the Wireless V3+ UK version
By then, I already ordered the Tado Starter Kit - Wired Smart Thermostat V3+ (also 2 TRV )

Currently our heating system works as 1 zone (that includes HW)
Some Plumbing work was done recently to separate HW but no electrical wiring was done.
So keep it simple really still 1 zone.

I have the Nest thermostat with the Nest Heat Link by the boiler.

My plan was to place this Wired Thermostat instead of the Nest heat Link box.
Then control for it and TRVs to be done mostly by the app on the phone

I like the Opentherm idea but not sure if my boiler is compatible (Ideal Logic System S15IE)

Questions:
1. Do I really need to send back the Wired version (arriving to me next week) and order a Wireless one?
2. If the wired version was to be installed, would it just not work OR work with some limitations?
3. If I end up ordering the Wireless one, would the EU Wireless version (with Opentherm) work with my current system that may not be Opentherm ready?

I appreciate any support

Best Answer

• policywonk
    policywonk ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

According to Ideal's website the Logic family can be Opentherm controlled. Their UK Number is 01482 498660, and they say on the website that if you call they will explain what needs to be done.

This isnt simple however, whether or not you have Opentherm or straight on/off switching. It is a system boiler and you will need to ascertain how the zone valves were established.

• IThis is the link to the installation guide: Logic_System_IE_Installation_Servicing.pdf (idealboilers.ie). Look at pages 31 onwards. It comes with an electronic system of throttling heat, water flow and thermal output, controlled through Opentherm. It has a built in pump which also controls its own speed in response to the demand gap.
    • It will be a Y plan (using a three way zone valve) or an S Plan (using two, two way zone valves).
    • It is important to clarify how your hot water tank call for heat is tracked, because the Nest doesnt have wiring to handle that. Odd.
    • Also important to clarify whether the system pump
    • On the left hand side there are basic power connections.
    • On the right hand side there are Opentherm connections. Page 33 describes the Opentherm connections, but based upon Honeywell Evohome.

Is it worth using Opentherm? Yes, definitely. It will save you at least £200 pa in a 3 bed house.

Is it simple? This link Change wireless to wired sensor and get Opentherm function? — tado° Community will inform you. Look at @gary333's recommendations in particular.

It is important to think about the management of your HW side as well as your boiler isn't a combi.

Unfortunately Opentherm isnt in my sandbox. Perhaps @wateroakley you could chip in?