w.Intercom = i;Questions/concerns before I switch to Tado X — tado° Community

Questions/concerns before I switch to Tado X

Today I got a marketing email from Tado with an attractive discount on Tado X products. I would like to clarify a few things before I replace everything with Tado X.

Tado highlights the following as benefits.

[quote]

• No costs for additional batteries: The tado° Smart Radiator Thermostat X comes with an an integrated rechargeable battery.
  • Connectivity: Thanks to Thread technology you enjoy an even more stable, reliable and expandable home network.
  • Matter compatibility: Future proof your energy control with Matter, the new standard supported by Apple, Google and Amazon
  • Silence: tado° X is so silent that even your baby can even sleep next to it.
  • Awarded design: tado° X offers outstanding design in look and operation, as well as the most compact radiator thermostat on the market.

[end quote]

I have the following questions and concerns.

Home Assistant integration

Does Tado X work with Home Assistant as it does now? I do not consider Google/Amazon/Apple as attractive benefits, because these are third-party services that relatively do not give the end-user much of the control.

As of now, there are two ways to use old Tado with Home Assistant: Integration provided by Home Assistant, and HomeKit Integration. I also noticed that if you control the old Tado via the HomeKit integration, the changes sometimes do not reflect in the official Tado app/ Tado integration provided by the Home Assistant.

With regard to Tado X, I understand it is possible to add it to Home Assistant via the Matter integration. However, I'm a bit skeptical about this because I doubt whether Matter integration would also desynchronize with the official app.

I appreciate it if anybody with experience could confirm if my doubt is valid or not.

Also, having an official integration with Home Assistant will make Tado X more attractive for people who want to de-Google their smart home ecosystem.

No cost for additional batteries

Do you have to remove the TRV for recharging?

If this is the case, the thermostat will remain fully open until you remount the TRV. This could potentially waste more energy/ overheat small rooms until the battery is fully charged.

Please clarify if my assumption is wrong.

I actually prefer how I use the old Tado and a number of other smart home devices that need batteries: I keep a pool of rechargeable batteries. Whenever a device runs out of power, it's only a battery swap and the downtime is minimum this way.

Thanks,

Shaaku

Tagged: