w.Intercom = i;Wireless receiver installed yesterday. Now not working — tado° Community

Wireless receiver installed yesterday. Now not working

I installed the wireless receiver yesterday. We have had the thermostats working for a while.

All worked fine with the receiver yesterday. Test buttons worked as did hot water and heating.

Now it’s not communicating and it has no lights on it at all. The app says wireless receiver is offline.

The Power supply is live. Tried power cycling by turning off the whole power to the house on the fuse board. Nothing. Tried holding the wifi button for 10 seconds. Nothing. Tried pressing the test buttons. Nothing.

No lights on it. No hot water at home. No heating. Less than 12 hours of it working and no obvious way to get anything working

Earlier today our router was unplugged for about an hour. Not sure if that affects anything? It shouldn’t do.

Can anyone help?

Comments

• wateroakley
    wateroakley Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 6

@valleyman Hello. Sorry to hear you're having problems with your new setup. Presumably you have the wireless starter kit with Internet Dongle, Wireless receiver and wireless temperature sensor?

I'll try to help with answers and asking questions …

1. First, posting system details with pictures will help users to help you. Combi or system boiler, make/model, S-plan or Y-Plan, wireless or wired starter kit, TRVs, etc. Easiest to post pictures from the web page version.
    2. The Tado system will rely on Internet connection. Unpluggng the router and restarting should pick up connectivity within a minute or two.
    3. No reason to push the router wifi buttons, nothing will happen for Tado.
    4. Is the Internet dongle plugged into the router ethernet and power? Or somewhere else ??
    5. What make/model is the router? And the ISP?
    6. What lights are on the dongle?
    7. The wireless receiver should have the two left-hand lights on, indicating there is Power (left) and Connection (next) to the dongle/internet. When CH or HW fires up, these show as the two right-hand lights. I've posted a picture of the UK version below with all 5 lights ON.
    8. The biggest clue is the lack of lights on the Receiver. If there is power to the Receiver L and N, but no lights, that sounds like a problem with the Receiver?
    9. Provided the wireless receiver and room stat have connectivity to the dongle, you should be able to fire up the CH and HW from your room stat.
    10. You can reach out to Tado support chat from their main web pages.

If all else fails and you are very confident around electrics, it should be possible to link the wireless receiver so the HW and CH comes on. More system details, and a picture of the receiver wiring, would be needed to advise how to go about that.

HTH.

• valleyman
    valleyman
    edited October 6
    Thank you @wateroakley Pic of set up to follow. But briefly.

Wireless bridge is fine. Showing all lights have rebooted a few times just in case. Rest of internet fine and thermostats seem to be connected.

The thermostats are wired. Two of them as we have upstairs and downstairs zones. They were installed last year. Been fine. Finally got round yesterday to replacing the potterton unit which controlled the times when heating and water comes on with the Tado one. The box says ‘add on wireless receiver UK programmer with hot water control’ we have a combi boiler and a hot water cylinder.

Went through the app to install the new unit and everything seemed fine yesterday. Lights on. Orange test lights doing the job and heating coming on and when the hot water button for test was pressed the boiler fired up.

Currently no lights at all to the receiver. Going to turn all the power to the house off and check each wire is in place. The power live line is showing as live when I use a tester on it.

I think maybe the unit is broken?
  • valleyman
    valleyman
    edited October 6

Boiler is a combi boilet - Vaillant Eco Tech Plus 630. Old control unit I replaced was a Potterton EP 2. Oh and I think it's an S plan

Does this help @wateroakley

• @wateroakley not sure if this helps. Using the power detector thing the L, CH Com and HW com are showing as live whilst the CH NO and HW NO aren’t.
  • valleyman
    valleyman
    edited October 6

I replied with a large comment explaining the set up but it seems to have vanished? Very annoying but I'll try again

I have two wireless thermostats that I installed last year and have been working fine. Yesterday I decided to install the wireless receiver. It says this on the box 'add on wireless receiver UK programmer with hot water control tado.'

We have a combi boiler and a hot water cylinder / immersion (I think?)

Yesterday it seemed to be working fine, lights were on, it went orange when I hit the tests. The heating came on when I tested it and I heard the boiler fire up when I tested the hot water button.

The bridge is working fine, I've tried power cycling it and it's still fine and the other thermostats are connected to it. I don't think there's any problem with the internet or router.

The receiver is showing no lights and no power. When I use a power checker the live line is showing as live though.

So I think probably the receiver is broken. But how?! I've read a few things today about putting it in a specific set up for a combi boiler, but there was nothing in the instructions on the app that told me this so don't know if I should have done something or not? Any help @wateroakley is much appreciated. Thank you

• policywonk
    policywonk ✭✭✭
    edited October 6

According to your readings the Wireless Receiver is powered up, but it isnt being given cause to give a signal for heat or either HW or CH. Apologies for asking some dumb questions:

a) When you put the cover back on, does the power light go on.

b) When you press the CH button, does it light up?

If you have the confidence, isolate it, and bridge CH COM to CH NO. Does that fire the boiler, but the lights still remain not present?

May I ask - why is the wireless receiver installed at all? I see the wiring is set up to trigger CH, but the wireless receiver is presently not wired to authorise a HW request.

You state there is an S Plan. If there is, I cannot see evidence in that wiring that it does anything more than respond to CH requests, not HW requests. Therefore the combi boiler is handling its HW calls directly, which means the Tado wireless receiver is relaying the calls for heat from the wireless thermostats.

I presume that if the receiver does not light up after you click the CH button (on the top) to force the central heating on, that there is a problem.

• It could be an App setting issue.
    • Or there could be a hardware fault.

Is it under warranty? If so, time to talk to Tado support via the App.

• valleyman
    valleyman
    edited October 7
    Hi @policywonk thanks for your reply

No power light when the cover is on, nothing lights up when any button is pressed.

I’m not sure what you mean by isolate it and bridge CH COM to CH NO. Does it mean turn the power off and put a wire between the two?

The wireless receiver was installed to replace the original receiver so that hot water and heating and radiator valves would work through the app / schedule / when a room dropped temp as the old receiver is a ‘dumb’ one where I put the hot water and heating on a timer on the unit itself. If that makes sense?

I followed the in app instructions to replicate the set up of my old unit, which gave me HW and CH. Is this one wrong? I want both?!

I thought it was an S plan but not sure. Basically everything is wired. The thermostats and receiver.

I’ve been waiting since Saturday afternoon to hear back from Tado support so am frustrated to say the least for the complete lack of silence on their part.

Thanks for your help!
  • Update: Tech support have been in touch and are sending a replacement unit

• policywonk
    policywonk ✭✭✭

Sorry only got around to seeing this just now. From your notes it now seems clear that the wireless receiver has developed a permanent fault.

As to my request to bridge CH COM to CH NO, when I asked you to isolate it first, I was aiming to protect your hands whilst you placed the wires - and then forgot to state that it would be necessarty to power it up before reporting on what happened next. Bottom line is that CH NO should rise to 240v when there is a call for heat in your setting.

• Thank you @wateroakley Pic of set up to follow. But briefly. 

Wireless bridge is fine. Showing all lights have rebooted a few times just in case. Rest of internet fine and thermostats seem to be connected. 

The thermostats are wired. Two of them as we have upstairs and downstairs zones. They were installed last year. Been fine. Finally got round yesterday to replacing the potterton unit which controlled the times when heating and water comes on with the Tado one. The box says ‘add on wireless receiver UK programmer with hot water control’ we have a combi boiler and a hot water cylinder. 

Went through the app to install the new unit and everything seemed fine yesterday. Lights on. Orange test lights doing the job and heating coming on and when the hot water button for test was pressed the boiler fired up. 

Currently no lights at all to the receiver. Going to turn all the power to the house off and check each wire is in place. The power live line is showing as live when I use a tester on it. 

• wateroakley
    wateroakley Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 12

@valleyman Hello. The clue for me is the lack of any lights on the wireless receiver. If it's getting 240 volts on L and N, thats suggests that your unit is faulty.