Home Technical Questions

TRV not calling for heat

Brand new install into an old house that I've recently moved into. Our Boiler is the garage, connected to an extension kit. Thermostat is in our kitchen, with two TVR radiators (TADO). All radiators else where in the house have Tado TVR - configured into seperate rooms / zones with single TRV / Radiators. All online and connected.

The TRV in a lounge doesn't appear to be able to call for the heat source - It only gets heat if kitchen requests heat. I thought this may be a questionable plumbing loop, with it connected off the kitchen (adjacent rooms). To test the theory I have taken the TVRs off the kitchen RADS so naked pin is available which if I understand correctly means the rads should be free flowing and activated if any TADO requests heat. Is this a good assumption?

I find this difficult to troubleshoot. Is there any way I can see application logs to see what TADO thinks its doing?

Is there an activity log I can see - I'm troubleshooting at the minute by activating various rooms to ensure each one can demand heat, but its slow going.

Best Answer

Answers

• @samd, thats interesting, wasnt aware of that, what setup do you get by default or does it all depend on what setup you start with? Ive got extension kit next to boiler and assumed my TRVs were calling for heat when needed, but now you say there is 2 ways of working im wondering what ive got and what the benefit of each is. Is there any write up on this anywhere?
  • samdsamd ✭✭✭

@Adzyp In November last when I installed tado, I hit upon it by chance during a session on the chat line and once we confirmed what each of us was talking about (!) it took less than a couple of minutes for them to change me to 'all devices have primacy'. Never seen it written down anywhere and I have posted similar to my response above to newbies who did not know, many times over the last couple of months - it is clearly not in the 'welcome pack'

• beedeejaybeedeejay
    edited February 20

Thanks for the help, support have changed the mode to allow all TRVs to call for heat. I'm not in a position to test but I'm sure this would fix the issue.

Like you've said I can't see this sertting / default posture in any documentation. The whole point in me choosing this system over a competitors was the TRV heat calling option per zone.

I feel that the documentation / settings / application could be updated to show the consuming how it is configured. I could have saved my self some time and effort turning valves on and off. No bid deal but the status could be clearer.

Thanks again, and thanks to tado support.

• digitaldrdigitaldr
    edited February 21
    Am I correct in saying if you have an extension kit and all devices can call for heat then you are limited to 10 rooms (max 7 devices per room)?
  • Had exactly the same issue when I installed. This is only something that tado support can change. No idea why

I wonder how many of these they have to do each day? ...

I don't really understand why the default setup would be to work like a traditional thermostat when their website gives the impression that multi zoning is a feature out of the box.
  • samdsamd ✭✭✭

@digitaldr Not sure but thought the 10 room limit applied to any type of tado installation.

• @davidlyall ditto that, not only can you not tell which of your devices can call for heat, or even know that is an option but you have to contact the (hard to contact) support to make it happen. Come on tado stop locking down the settings that competent users can change!

• ChimmyChimmy
    edited May 14

Tado just changed my configuration so SRVs’ calls for heat are no longer being ignored. Comparing my thermostat’s configuration before and after, it appears the adviser changed my thermostats’ duties from "ZONE_DRIVER" to "CIRCUIT_DRIVER":

Before…

"duties": ["ZONE_UI", "ZONE_DRIVER", "ZONE_LEADER"]

After…

"duties": ["ZONE_UI", "CIRCUIT_DRIVER", "ZONE_LEADER"]

The above information was obtained using the endpoint:

https://my.tado.com/api/v2/homes/<Your_home_ID>/zones?username=<your_username>&password=<your_password>

Note also that all my SRVs are set as "ZONE_DRIVER".

The adviser confirmed that this change was a result of her configuration change but that there are other changes also necessary...

"In case you want to go back to the previous configuration, you have to ask that the Smart Radiator Thermostat not call for heat. However the duties will remain the same for the Smart Thermostat, we will just unlink the Smart Radiator Thermostat from it."

• 1) Added SRVs to my account before my smart thermostat

2) Abandoned the "step-by-step installation instructions" (as my boiler wasn't listed).

No idea if these affect causing this issue but if anyone experiences this without having done the above, it'd be nice to know

• I’m interested in above as Tado told me I can’t do this without rewiring and adding an additional extension kit! Is your smart thermostat wired to a two port valve? This seems to be my issue is that while trv can call for heat it can’t override the fact that the smart thermostat has shut the valve - they told me a couple of years back that this was possible before I bought the trvs!