Develop a "basic backup schedule" mode for when Tado outage or loss of internet

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• johnbur
    johnbur ✭✭✭
    Options
    They are not going to fix this, it's been five years and counting....
  • GrayDav4276
    Options
    5 years and over 500+ votes.....do you think that tado is listening..... 🤔
  • cdmstr
    Options
    Home assistant will allow you to operate tado kit without an internet connection, using local schedules.
  • AlexMPH
    Options
    @cdmstr can you please explain what we need to do for this?
  • Kds51h
    Options
    Reading many of these comments and from other posts, it's obvious that Tado aren't developing this much any more and don't care about the safety issues this poses for elderly and vulnerable people.

If we all gave them a 1 star review on the app store and play store for safety concerns and lack of development, then it may start to affect them and they might start to take action.

I'll be doing this in a few minutes.
  • johnbur
    johnbur ✭✭✭
    Options
    @AlexMPH install Home Assistant - there are many YouTube videos on this.
    Then install the Homekit integration and pair your tado internet bridge. This will give you local control of your tado kit (but not hot water)
    Then install Scheduler to create local schedules.
    If you are going to go to all this effort, I recommend junking Tado entirely (they have a good resale value on ebay) and buying zigbee trvs and temperature sensors instead. The Sonoff ZBTRVs for example work flawlessly and are only £25 each.
  • space_ranger
    Options
    It’s really disappointing to see tado have not responded to this message. Do they actually look at these suggestions?
  • johnbur
    johnbur ✭✭✭
    Options
    What do you expect them to say?
  • space_ranger
    Options

Acknoweldge the issue and provide a solution. It's not very hard to solve. The bridge seems to use an STM32 chip, its definitley capable of storing a few hundred bytes to run a simplified offline schedule when it cant call home.

• johnbur
    johnbur ✭✭✭
    Options
    @space_ranger Tado have acknowledged the issue many times in this thread. They have also stated that they cannot/will not fix it. They state that it is an Internet 'always on' product, so look elsewhere. What more do you expect them to say? They are not going to fix it.
  • jcwacky
    jcwacky ✭✭✭
    Options

@space_ranger Tado have acknowledged the issue multiple times in this thread. They have also made it clear that it is not something they are able to add to the current hardware. They have also confirmed they are (or at least were) working on new hardware, and that members of the team were pushing for this to be included in the new hardware.

I still believe there is a good chance that 2024 is the year that Tado will launch new hardware, and would be very surprised if this feature wasn't part of it.

• johnbur
    johnbur ✭✭✭
    Options
    @jcwacky snap! (apart from the optimism about 2024....) even if they do produce new hardware, I will not fall for it again. There are too many better options out there now.
  • GrayDav4276
    Options
    Wearing my Cynical hat.....I personally don't hold any hope that 2024 will be the year that tado add a complete new range of devices....and if they do.....I can't imagine that tado will produce a system that is not simply "full of promises/features" but yet another range of devices that are incapable of achieving tado's "sales gimmick" advertising.
    I certainly will not be investing any more of my cash into this company.....
    Once bitten.....Twice Shy
  • Pythagoras
    Options

@Jurian 

So in February 2021 it was your position that, rather than making the system reliable when the internet goes down, you wanted to spend the resource to

• Improve the reliability of the radio connection between the tado bridge and individual devices.
    • Improve the reliability of the connection to the cloud from the tado bridge (making sure the bridge does not lose connection unless there is a real internet outage, which is very rare).

Well I bought your system in January 2024 and you've had 3 years to do that.

The radio connection between the Tado bridge and individual devices is inadequate for most of the radiators in my house, not a small house but not a particularly large house. You could have completely solved this by allowing multiple bridges, but you haven't bothered.

There are any number of off the shelf robust protocols, including public domain ones, that you could run over tcpip to fix the reliability of the connection to the cloud from the bridge. A few hours work.

Has ANYTHING happened in the last 3 years or are you all pretending to be working from home ?

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    edited February 5
    Options
    @Pythagoras
    You know that you can return it all within the first 12 months.....
    You should really consider this option, before you start trying to find workarounds for the numerous tado issues that tado have not attempted to eradicate.
    Don't get hooked into trying to make tado into something that it's not able to achieve.
    Get your investment back and look for something that will more closely suit your requirements.
  • hugbilly
    hugbilly ✭✭✭
    Options

Don't forget also that those who post here are fellow tadoº customers, not representatives of the company . . .

• hugbilly
    hugbilly ✭✭✭
    Options

But not, I think, without a connection between the bridge and the router ?