Internet bridge offline every few days

Options
2»

Answers

• rafm5
    rafm5 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Options

To have a better understanding of the problem can people share their ISP / router details? Currently, there isn't enough hard data here to draw conclusions.

Tado° may not actually be responsible for all the problems.

• DavyVL78
    DavyVL78
    edited May 2021
    Options

Add me to the list ...

Been using this since a few month after hearing so many good things about this system, but i have to say i wont be recommending this system to anyone ...

Bridge firmware version: 83.1

• GraBird
    Options

As requested, My router details:

I have TP-Link Deco M5 (mesh routers) running 1.5.3 20210203 Rel. 68223 = latest firmware.

Earlier in this thread, when I was prompted to think it may be the fault of the router, I replaced my router with my old router that I still kept, and the results were no different. That was an Asus RT-AC68U. That test was no different and proved to me it wasn't my router.

Note that I had also bought a second Internet Bridge having been led to believe that the one I had was faulty. That didn't fix it either.

So I have a setup where all elements are 'swappable' for testing. This has convinced me it is a server-side problem, and it has been frustrating that Tado have not acknowledged that a problem exists, or existed. If the server-side upgrades/release notes were published it would give greater confidence. Perhaps they've fixed it. Who knows?

For example, it has been working fine for me, without interruption, since Saturday 24th April. That's great news, and the longest stretch of continuous service since last December! But I cannot be sure that it won't recur, as I don't have any known reason for the interruptions to service, or the good service either. There's never any changes at my end.

This leaves an unsettled feeling of unreliability that is making it impossible for me to invest further. I have 5 TRV's so far but won't put any more in now.

• GraBird
    Options

PS: my ISP is British Telecom in UK - broadband contract.

• johnbur
    johnbur ✭✭✭
    Options

I've had this issue for 3+ years and have never fully resolved it. Have been on three different ISPs during that time (Plusnet, Vodafone and Zen), with three different routers, all with the same issue.

Having monitored carefully when the bridge loses connection, for me, it is nothing to do with losing ISP connection or the power supply or cable, it is purely that randomly the bridge disconnects from the port it is connected to - doesn't make any difference if it is a port on the router, or a switch.

The only thing that has reduced significantly the disconnects for me since I have had a Unifi managed switch, is that I have changed the connection speed from auto negotiate to 10Mbps HDX on the port that the bridge is connected to. This has reduced the disconnects from two or three times a week to fewer than once a month for me (I get an alert from a Fingbox that I have every time it disconnects).

I appreciate that most routers/switches cannot be configured to anything but auto negotiate, but might help some.

@Jurian any update from your end on a resolution for this issue?

• MarkWilly
    Options

Hi all, first time poster on here and I'm not very technical...

For one reason or another I purchased a Tado V3 kit in 2020 and set it up but had an issue with my boiler wiring which meant we couldn't use the system. It was then summer so the heating was never on but now I'm coming to set up my system again but the bridge is constantly flashing for the "cloud services".

I've been on the chat service for a week or so and no joy. I've tried a factory reset of the bridge too.

I am a UK customer on Virgin Media.

Is there anything I can do in this situation? I just can't get my bridge to connect to any Tado services and therefore can't seem to use anything in setting up the system.

Any help that anyone can offer would be massively appreciated.

Thanks

• GrilledCheese2
    Options

@MarkWilly you could try to temporarily disable the router’s firewall and any web/family safe filter features. These may be causing communication issues with Tado’s cloud servers. Additionally you could enquire with VM if your account is using Carrier Grade NAT. Some ISPs use this feature to manage their IPv4 traffic and it is known to cause issues with some smart devices. You’ll probably get more advice from VM’s community forum.

• GrayDav4276
    Options
    @MarkWilly

I just wanted to let you know that I have a Virgin Media connection via the Virgin Hub 3.0 and I have never had any connection issues in "normal usage"
    So the issue is not a "generic" Internet Provider issue, and is a unique problem with your system or your particular Internet access.
  • Capfuturo
    Capfuturo
    edited December 2021
    Options
    My internet set up is as follows:

Router: Netgear Orbi Pro WiFi 6 AX6000
    Internet: Vodafone 5G Gigacube Router

The Tado bridge disconnections have been numerous over the last week, however my internet has not gone down once. Sometimes these disconnections last up to 6 hours, which have prompted me to change the hot water schedule from once a day to several times a day and night, so not to find myself early morning without hot water as a result of Tado bridge disconnecting between 4am and 6am, which is the slot when I normally heat water to store in the immersion tank.

I have the Tado bridge connected to a smart plug which power cycles it when it goes offline, but not even that is currently helping.

I think these forums are a way to keep customers busy writing about the issues they experience, which makes it look like is part of Tado support/customer service, but it really isn’t.
  • Squuiid
    Options

All, this issue is NOT related to your internet connection nor router.

This is a networking problem/bug/hardware issue with the Tado Internet Bridge.

Try this to prove the point. Open a COMMAND prompt (in Windows) or Terminal (in Mac) and type the following:

Windows: PING IP_address_of_Tado_bridge -t

Mac: PING IP_address_of_Tado_bridge

So, for example:

PING 192.168.111.110

Request timeout for icmp_seq 0

Request timeout for icmp_seq 1

64 bytes from 192.168.111.110: icmp_seq=13 ttl=64 time=103.082 ms

Request timeout for icmp_seq 3

64 bytes from 192.168.111.110: icmp_seq=15 ttl=64 time=3.421 ms

Request timeout for icmp_seq 5

64 bytes from 192.168.111.110: icmp_seq=17 ttl=64 time=3.438 ms

If you're having connectivity problems you will see "Request Timeout" in the responses.

Tado, and ONLY Tado can fix this with a firmware update or by replacing our bridge devices.

Please report back with your findings. The more visibility we give to this issue the more likely Tado will address.

• johnbur
    johnbur ✭✭✭
    Options
    @Squuiid you are correct that the issue is nothing to do with Internet connection. As I said earlier in this thread, the bridge is not good at auto negotiation with the port it is connected to.
    Changing the port connection speed from auto negotiate to 10Mbps HDX on the port that the bridge is connected to resolves the issue.
    I have not had a single disconnect since last August.
    I appreciate that this is not possible on some routers/switches but might help some.
  • Squuiid
    Squuiid
    edited January 2022
    Options

@johnbur I tried that on my Meraki switch and it unfortunately made no difference.

I also tried a couple other switches, one dumb, one managed and again no change unfortunately.

Thanks for the suggestion though. And yes, 10BASE-T half duplex is a sick joke in 2022.