Electric underfloor heating

Options
When the thermostats were on sale in the summer I got another one with the intention of trying to replace the crappy thermostats that controls the electric underfloor heating in the bathroom. Forgot about it until I found it gathering dust in cupboard now.
The previous owner installed this and we don’t have any technical information about what is actually connected to thermostat.
Tado say that it will only switch up to 3A which I suspect means I am out of luck and need to put the extra thermostat on eBay.
How I can find out what ampage my existing underfloor heater is?

Best Answer

Answers

• GrilledCheese2
    Options

Ideally you need to know what system is under the floor. The electric mats are rated in watts per m2 and are typically 100-200W per m2. You might be able to estimate the total wattage for your floor area, otherwise you will need a meter to measure how much current is drawn from the existing controller.

• Klaus_Ludwig
    Options

Measure the resistance in ohms of the heating element circuit using a multimeter and use the formula amps = V/R (with R in ohms) to calculate the current draw in watts. If amps above switching capacity of Tado thermostat then use Tado thermostat to drive a suitably rated external relay. Second issue is that the Tado thermostat has a max set point of 25 deg C. Typical electric floor stat has an upper limit of 40 deg C. Can use Tado offset, but this is not an elegant solution. Third issue is that the Tado thermostat will have an NTC Thermistor as a sensor for air temp. This will need to be removed if controlling underfloor temp (as is common) rather than room temp and the underfloor thermistor with identical Beta or Steinhart-Hart coefficient(s) wired in in its place. Fourth issue is If the underfloor system has more than one thermistor designed to be connected to the thermostat then the Tado thermostat will not be suitable.