w.Intercom = i;Smart Thermostat Batteries run out quickly — tado° Community

Smart Thermostat Batteries run out quickly

I'm having a real problem with my Thermostat. Recently, it keeps using up the batteries very quickly. I'm using 3 brand new AAA alkaline LR03, as recommended by Tado, when I get a message to replace. After about 5 days, I get another message saying the batteries are low and need replacing again! If I don't do that, the thermostat runs out of power and I have no heating. I can't keep putting in new batteries every time this happens so I'm hoping there is a fix.

Does anyone have the same problem and if so, have they found a fix? Tried contacting Tado support but had no reply. Thanks!

Best Answer

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021 Answer ✓

@Pedro_B You need to contact support again at tado.com. You appear to have a faulty device - needs to be replaced.

Answers

• I have had exactly the same issue with just one of my wall thermostats which granted is furthest away from the bridge but still has solid connection when you look at the app. I have contacted the support team about this and they say that they cannot identify the issue and as a result put it down to a faulty thermostat however, unfortunately I got mine second hand from eBay so it won't be in warranty. Its odd though as when it is powered up it works fine its just the batteries run out within 3-4 days whilst having a stable connection throughout that period (no drop outs).

• I'm having the same issue. 1st time I've had to replace batteries last week and since then. Batteries are only lasting around 10 hours. I'm using normal Duracell batteries. No reply from Tado on this issue. My thermostat is now just over 12 months old so out of warranty. Typical.
  • Hello @Royston1036

Sorry to read you've been having issues with your batteries.
    It should not be the case that your batteries deplete so quickly.

tado° makes the following battery recommendations to customers:

• Wireless Temperature Sensor: AAA alkaline batteries (LR03)
    • Smart Radiator Thermostat (VA01): AA alkaline batteries (LR6).
    • Smart Radiator Thermostat (VA02): A alkaline batteries (LR6) or Panasonic Eneloop AA 2000 mAh NiMH rechargeable batteries

General good practice:

• Only use the indicated battery type for your device model.
    • Do not mix battery types.
    • Do not mix old and new batteries.
    • Replace all batteries at the same time.
    • Make sure the positive (+) and the negative (-) battery polarities are correctly aligned with the symbols in the battery compartment.

If you disconnect the Internet Bridge or router, your batteries will deplete much faster. Your tado° devices will spend extra energy constantly searching for an Internet connection.

• davidlyall
    davidlyall ✭✭✭
    edited September 3

Deleted as I realised the original post was 3 years old!

@Emcee , I really don't think there's any value in re-opening such an old thread. All it does is put newer threads further down the list or onto the second page

• Hello @davidlyall

@Royston1036 's comment is dated from yesterday. Just wanted to help him out 🙂
    This is also a frequent topic of conversation, hopefully my response can help others this winter.

• Fair enough @Emcee

In terms of @Royston1036 's issue, I would suggest Tado looks at some goodwill on this. If he's covered by Scottish or English consumer laws, there are some protections that go beyond the 1 year warranty offered by Tado. I can't recall the specifics but if it would be reasonable to expect a thermostat to last longer than a year (which it is!) then the vendor still has some legal respsonsibilities

• I too am having issues with a wireless wall thermostat eating (many different manufacturers) AAA. It only started to happen this spring. Having run through the points raised above by task support, I am still replacing batteries every two to 3 weeks. I’ve been with Tado since day 1 in early 2010’s and have 7 wall thermostats and 9 radiator thermostats in my upstairs zone. Don’t really want to have to buy a new stat as it is only a couple of years old.
  • @DavidBucha can you try swapping two of the wall thermostats to see if the issue stays with the one that's eating batteries or if it stays at the location?

Is the thermostat that's eating batteries at a far location from the bridge? Note that it's not just about distance, you need to factor in how many floors, walls etc the signal has to travel through and what the building material is.

Could you have had some work done to the property in the Spring that could have a detrimental effect on the signal strength to that device?

Could you try siting the bridge more centrally and higher in the property? Powerline adapters or a WiFi extender with ethernet port are cheap and useful for trying out different locations

• hi David,

Thanks for the thoughts. The bridge is in the next room, through a stud wall (wooden studs). And there is a radiator thermostat 4m beyond the wall thermostat that has no issues.

All radiator and wall thermostats are on the same floor, with no load bearing walls.

When I change the batteries, the wall stat in question connects almost instantaneously, too.

I’ve had no work done on the house before this problem started.

I have a wall and rad thermostat which is around an “L-Shaped” part of the house where the signal has to travel through two external walls (foil and foam insulated) and a foil and foam insulated warm roof, without any problems.

I think this wall stat is now defective tbh.

• sorry. The bridge is high and central in our house and linked by Ethernet, obvs, to our network cabinet in the garage. Packet capture shows good data transfer from that.

Whole house is wired with Ethernet drops….even the loft.