Why do TRVs give widely in accurate temp readings?

Options
Set up TRV on the kitchen radiator. Room is sitting moderately cool (estimated 18C), tado app shows the room sitting at 26C... Cozy!!! Set up a Mercury thermometer right next to the valve. Confirmed temp is actually 19C. Added to the growing list of unanswered questions to Tado support. Anyone else suffered this problem?

Answers

• I don’t think it is just TRVs. My smart thermostat also appears to have this issue. I put mercury thermometer next to it on the wall and one on the opposite wall (near closest radiator). Radiator temp was 21, wall temp was 19. But the Tado thermostat reads 25. No wonder it’s bloody cold in the house at night. Our “smart schedule” is set to 18, so in reality it is probably 12.
  • Herres
    Herres ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Options

In the app menu you can calibrate (adjust) the indicated room temperature and set it to what it should be.

Your question WHY these temperature differences occur I do not know. Partly this can be caused by air currents or not optimal placing of the trv's.

• Klaus_Ludwig
    Options

Hi @AberdeenLaddie,

Is your TRV actuator mounted vertically? If so that would explain the inaccuracy - due to radiant heat from the radiator. Offset correction will not resolve this. I would recommend fitting all TRV actuators horizontally.

• Ian69
    Options
    Temp measurement and control proving frustrating. Less than a week into Tado and already had one TRV seem to leak so room was heated to 25 degC whenever any other room called for heat. Solved by removing / refitting batteries and remounting valve to force a recalibration (Tado support suggestion)
    Have now hadd 2 rooms indicate 25 degC when basic thermometer next to TRV reads 21 degC. Solved the first occurrence by moving my smart WiFi room stat but now same occurs to another room. I don’t have another WiFi room stat for this room too and can’t justify £85 each time a room goes wonky. Not sure these valves are that smart after all.
  • msrafam2
    Options

Same here, reading completely off

• Truth is, the temperature sensing element in all electronic TRVs suffer from thermal creep i.e. the conducted heat creeps through the material & heats the sensor because it is insufficiently isolated or remote. ALL electronic TRVs suffer it to one extent or another.

From an engineering perspective, the only real solution is to physically remove the sensing element from the housing. Of course most consumers don't want that 🙄

The other issue with TRVs is that they are actually designed to be mounted at the top of a rad. However, especially in the UK, we insist on mounting them too low for vanity reasons. Surprise surprise they are less effective at low levels.
  • samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    Options

I and others here have had success with the following adapters:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0017V3P4O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1