Alexa control needs improving

Options

Control via Alexa is awkward compared to other smart home devices (e.g. Philips Hue). I have one thermostat named "Hallway thermostat". I can say "turn off hallway thermostat" to turn it off. However, if I want to put it back onto the scheduled setting, I have to first turn on the hallway thermostat and then turn of manual control. It would be better to have the following:

"Alexa, turn on schedule for hallway thermostat"

Then you could override by setting a temperature (e.g. "Alexa, set hallway to 21 degrees") and switch between manual mode and schedule easily.

Also, it would be very useful to be able to say: "Alexa, turn on away mode for heating" so I can turn off my heating before I leave. And obviously, "Alexa turn on home mode for heating" when I return.

Also, there can be clashes sometimes between tado and other devices. This occurs, for example, if you have a name like "living room". I initially had a problem whereby if I turned off all lights in the living room then the thermostat would also be turned off. I think I've solved this now, but this may be a problem which happens to many more people. The Alexa commands for tado should be made more distinct so as not to clash with other devices.

Also, if a thermostat is off, I can't just say "Alexa, set bedroom thermostat to 21 degrees". I have to first say "Alexa, turn on bedroom thermostat". This is a little counter intuitive. Couldn't it be that "set bedroom thermostat to 21 degrees" turns it on and sets it to 21 degrees. It's implied that I want it switched on if I'm trying to set a temperature.

So, in summary, a more thorough set of commands is needed to deal with schedules on/off and manual modes. I work in computing and would be happy to help out with testing etc.

2 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• POSit
    Options

just say "return (heating / hall thermostat or whatever you named it) to schedule"

• GrayDav4276
    Options
    I use Alexa a lot with my Tado system.....and I don't have any issues with the way I have learnt to understand the integration of both systems.