Show battery status in the app

Would it not be possible to make the app do it's possible to see battery status.
That's possible in other of my smart home units
It's annoying that i can't see when it's time to put me battery in, so have to change often as i normalt travel very often when it's not Corona time
26 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• I don't know if this is something that has changed recently, but my system is completely failing when a valve runs out of battery power. My valves get to a point where they don't have enough battery to open or close, but the app still reports they have 100% battery and that everything is working fine. As a result, the first thing I know about a valve running out of battery is when one of my rooms overheats (as the main valve for the room is stuck closed, sensing a low temperature and the app is demanding constant heat from the other valves to compensate) or doesn't heat up at all (either because the only valve in the room is stuck closed or one of the secondary valves is stuck closed).

Tado support have told me they are working on a fix due to the app and valve detecting different levels of voltage. Which seems a bit weak to me. The difference between 100% power (shown in the app) and not enough power to open the valve (so effectively 0%) isn't just a question of voltage sensitivity. And even if the battery monitoring isn't working, why doesn't the valve send a message back to the app if is unable to open or close? That seems like a pretty basic piece of software design to me.

• Ditsy
    Ditsy ✭✭✭

On the forum searching because this is the second cold radiator this year. Both of them failed to notify that they had low batteries. Both:

• indicated they were still connected and had a "good" battery
    • would blink the TRV display when requested (so batteries not totally dead)
    • had Duracell alkaline LR6 batteries
    • had batteries that had just over a year of use
    • displayed the low battery symbol only on the TRV (no warnings via the app or email)
    • immediately returned to expected behaviour once the batteries were swapped out

Can Tado please advise how I can tell the status of the batteries in the remaining TRVs as clearly I can't trust the app?

• Ditsy
    Ditsy ✭✭✭

On the forum searching because this is the second cold radiator this year. Both of them failed to notify that they had low batteries. Both:

• indicated they were still connected and had a "good" battery
    • would blink the TRV display when requested (so batteries not totally dead)
    • had Duracell alkaline LR6 batteries
    • had batteries that had just over a year of use
    • displayed the low battery symbol only on the TRV (no warnings via the app or email)
    • immediately returned to expected behaviour once the batteries were swapped out

Can Tado please advise how I can tell the status of the batteries in the remaining TRVs as clearly I can't trust the app?

• I experienced that 3 radiators reported full battery in the app and that they were turned off. However they were not turned off (full heat for several days). Changed the battery in all three and they worked as expected.

It is not really smart radiator valves if they do not report in the app when they need battery changes - and worse that they can be on full heat when the app says that the battery level is full and that they are turned off.

• @psx

Our app will show you when you need to replace the batteries. Usually a week or two in advance.

What you're describing sounds like an issue with the calibration of your devices (or a defect). Not a battery issue. Basically, the devices thought they had their radiator valves closed, even though they had left them open (slightly) allowing warm water to pass. When you replaced the batteries, the devices re-calibrated. Which probably solved the issue. I think we can statistically rule out a defect, as you had this happen to three devices at the same time and this is a super rare defect for second gen devices (produced in the last 4 years). So: calibration issue.

With my lack of information I cannot really identify why three devices had a wrong calibration at the same time. One reason could be that they were not mounted tightly, but it could also be something else. If you want to trouble shoot this, contacting support will be the best way.

• rafm5
    rafm5 ✭✭✭

Wired Thermostat - no issues so far.