allow changing the name of devices

Options

Please allow us to change the names of devices to make it easier to identify them. For example, getting an email that tells me: "We have noticed that the batteries in your Smart Radiator Thermostat VA*******048 in the zone ****** are running low." I have 15 devices and if each device had a name I wouldn't have to waste time looking for the right one.

28 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ ✭✭✭
    Options

Surely this is very easy to implement and it would make a significant improvement in usability.

• Steven
    Options

Just open the app and see which device has low battery warning?

• LouisR
    LouisR ✭✭
    Options

This seems like a ridiculously easy improvement to make in the usability of TADO. Why hasn't it been implemented?

I have multiple rooms with multiple devices. The batteries don't all fail at the same time. So I change the ones that show up as needing replacement. But I can't tell which device needs batteries by just looking at the app — because the device is identified only by an anodyne serial number. No, I have to manually ping the device to have it "blink" at me. But if you have three devices in one room, it could take three tries to find the one needing batteries.

How does that make any sense? Put a nickname field in the app so we can identify devices to make them easy to service.

(And I can't believe it's two years later, and this still isn't done. Do you care about your consumers? We should love to use your system. Instead, we struggle against your seeming indifference to the user experience.)

• GrayDav4276
    Options
    Maybe the reason that this only has 12 up votes since Feb 2019 is an indication that it's really not an issue to the hundreds/thousands of other Tado users. There are many other Tado issues that need to be rectified...... This really doesn't even appear on my horizon if I'm honest.
  • LouisR
    LouisR ✭✭
    Options

People keep doing things the stupid way for a long time before someone comes along with a user-friendly solution.

The iPhone was a success because it re-thought the experience. Who needed visual voice mail – until you were offered it.

Might want to read up on supply side someday.

• GrayDav4276
    Options
    Maybe I will...........
  • packe
    Options
    Easy to do, high value. :)
  • hugbilly
    Options
    Very good suggestion . . .
  • CrogUk
    Options

I'm going to be devils advocate... but when my system needs a battery change it tells me which one based on the Room I assigned it too. I guess in this case of the OPs issue is it when you have lots of devices wihtin the same room?

• LouisR
    Options

I have five rooms with two or more radiators. Obviously a benefit to name each one.

What is Tado waiting for? How hard is it to add one more field to the app? You can name each Echo, each eero, each Hue bulb, etc.

I get priorities. But in four years, they might have gotten around to it.

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options
    How long do you have to spend to identify a device in a room with more than 2 devices...... 5 to 10 mins.....why would tado spend time money and resources to make our lives a "teeny weeny" bit more time efficient.
  • LouisR
    Options

Batteries need to be changed every six to twelve months. In my case, with five rooms with two or three devices, using your logic, I should WASTE an hour or two every year just trying to figure out which batteries to change? Spending any unnecessary time using a product creates ill will. It's a good thing you're not in charge of user experience anywhere.

• LouisR
    Options

P.S. I should have added that I am not the only person with more than multiple devices in a room, as evidenced by support from other users in this thread. Even assuming only a few thousand similar users, we are now talking about hundreds of man-days lost to bad UI. How does that make any sense, just because Taco won't do the right thing?

• GrayDav4276
    Options
    Your missing my main point......which is
    " why would tado spend time money and resources to make our lives a "teeny weeny" bit more time efficient "
    TADO have basically stopped any real development of their " current generation of tado devices "
  • LouisR
    Options

I don't disagree that Tado is not spending money to improve the user experience. That's my complaint. But if they have stopped developing products, or improving user experience, it's not because they are making nickels and dime decisions about dwindling resources. Taco raised €55 million that I know of in 2023. Maybe they'll spend some of it hiring people who know that the reason companies succeed is because they put their customers first.

• GrayDav4276
    Options
    Don't hold your breath for a change in tactics from tado......
  • CIW
    Options
    I’ve complied a list in Notes on my iPhone reminding me of which valve is which in rooms with 2 or 3 valves.
  • 281HR
    Options
    How annoyingly, blindingly obvious.... I'm doing it, I'm doing it 🤩🤗
  • LouisR
    Options

A Google spreadsheet starts out formatted correctly for this kind of data keeping. But still, I repeat, Tado should be doing this in the app.