Ability to use Wireless

Options
Tado needs the ability to use multiple wireless temperature thermostats to control different rooms independently.
1 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• johnnyp78
    Options
    Can you explain how this could be done?
  • hugbilly
    Options

It can be done but you need accompanying SRVs in each room alongside the wireless thermostats; slightly expensive option . . .

• wateroakley
    Options

You can control multiple rooms independently with a Tado wireless room stat and Tado trv.

• wateroakley
    Options

Since January 2022 we have spent £750 on 14 Tado devices. Looking back at the monthly gas usage for 2018-21, the Tado spend has helped us to significantly reduce our home energy use for heating and HW. For the last 12 months the saving on bills is £1,300, that's over £100 a month. ROI of 8 months at present UK energy prices is a pretty good return.

For energy ROI comparisons ... The home-office IT refresh with recycled devices was 1.5 years. Replacing the very inefficient 1970's warm air heating with a wet system and more insulation was 7 years. On a different measure of 2018-21 to 2023 home energy efficiency, annual CO2e, using Tado controls has reduced our footprint by circa 2600 kg.

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    Options

Blimey! WaterOakley's monthly SAVING is around twice the actual COST of my monthly heating bill during cold months! I mention this solely to show the huge differences we will have across the board here and I tend to side more with GrayDav's point that it is likely that the cost of convenience etc weighs against the benefit of reduced energy consumption for many users?

• thefern
    Options

I've tracked my energy usage month by month since start of 2020. I installed Tado start of 2022 so have some good data. I have quite a large system and it cost £887.46. I use auto-assist (and am ignoring that cost in these calls) as well as using IFTTT to use individual person/room geofencing for my home office and the kids bedrooms. I am seeing average annual kWh saving of 9955, at 7.5p a unit that's £746, so covered my costs in just over a year.

I've got that by only heating rooms at specific times when I need them and also by being careful not to heat hot water when I don't need it either.

So that's real money kept in my pocket, and commensurate reduction in carbon so great, but I have some other benefits, mostly around comfort. Three examples:

I used to have one room that is colder than others. I can now heat that room individually so it is always right.

I don't come home to a cold house when away for a while.

I can control heating from the sofa.

Don't get me wrong, Tado could be a lot better, but is is considerably better than a dumb thermostat if you persevere and if you are a little bit tech.

• thefern
    Options
    I hear you @GrayDav4276 and it is a big system and there’s a fair amount of glass in the house so needs a decent chunk of heat. I would expect a smaller house to have a commensurately smaller system but still provide savings if well managed.
  • wateroakley
    Options

@GrayDav4276 am I the outlier? Probably. Definitely trying to cut down on the ££ energy spend after ‘retiring’ from paid work. The 2022/23 heating savings we have implemented are a) changing ‘whole-house’ heating with dumb trvs to timed CH of rooms and HW. B) one or two days a week, leave home very early, turn everything off. near home late, turn back on. Without boiling the ocean, the data reports a circa 50% saving on HW energy by timing carefully instead of 24x7. In there, a regular 20% saving for every summer day out, from a short HW schedule of x2 a day instead of x3. The downside is forgetting to change the HW timer and an occasional cold shower, brrr.