How to stop smart TRV’s turning on boiler

Options
Hi I only only have Tado smart TRV’s on 4 rads out of around 10 in the house because I want to turn those 4 off during the day whilst the rest of the house is heated. I want the main smart thermostat in the hall to be the only device that turns the boiler on and off and the Radiator Valves to only set the temp/turn on and off the radiator they are controlling. Otherwise if my schedule settings are not exactly right and one Tado rad valve turns on and starts calling for heat when the main thermostat is set to frost protection (ie at night when I want the heating off) then it fires up the boiler and heats the whole house

Comments

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    Options

@anthenson There are two basic settings which only support can change viz primacy for all devices OR other devices can only call for heat when boiler control thermostat is, itself, calling for heat. You appear to have the former and you want the latter. Chatline can change it for you

• anthenson
    Options
    That’s great thanks for the response
  • linusplus
    Options

Why can't users change this setting autonomously?

In my case I might need one or the other and I want to be able to set it without having to ping support every time...

• GrayDav4276
    Options
    Hi @anthenson,
    Hi @linusplus,
    Have a read of the post on "INDEPENDENT" Tado SRT
    I'm not sure but this may help.
  • wbjohn
    Options

Anthenson, If you go into the app - select Settings - under Home field select Rooms & Devices - then select your rooms ( not the device ) 

You should have a Heating zone tab at the bottom with zone control

2 options 

1. zone controller - select this if you want the device to call for heat.
    2. no zone controller ( independent ) - select this if you do NOT want the device to call for heat.

So two scenarios

1. you have multiple trv’s with 1 room thermostat and you only want to turn your boiler on when the thermostat temp changes ( but you still control temperature in rooms with trv’s ) but remember they will only heat up if the main thermostat has called for heat.
    2. multiple trv’s and 1 room thermostat but all calling for heat independently. so any room with a trv can start the boiler.

I used scenario 2 whilst I only had a couple of trv’s but now with many I have all the trv’s calling for heat I also use apple homekit to automate the home and away option. I have set my bedroom to not call for heat and set temperature to high from bedtime until I leave for work so when another room calls for heat in the morning the valve is already open so does not wake me up but allows the room to heat up toasty.

hope that makes sense and helps you.