Smart Rads power by rechargeable lithium ion AA batteries

Hi I just wanted to to share some tips that we can use the rechargeable lithium ion AA batteries. We can't keeps on replacing the alkaline AA as it only last about 6 months.
I bought some Kentli brand it it does the job.
It is still in the early days to see how long it last before indeed to recharge them. But I am hopeful that we could all contribute to save the planet.
17 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• This should be an absolute must. Any rechargeable batteries with do for me.

+1
  • Don't treat this as gospel but I believe that due to the different way Alkaline and Lion batteries discharge fitting a Lion battery to a device designed for an Alkaline would 'confuse' its ability to report how much capacity is left.

I would not expect this to prevent using them but you might have to ignore its estimate of charge left.

• Hi guys,

thx Mytada for bringing up the lithium discussion. I was thinking myself about it too. I mean 1.5 Volts, same as the alkaline batteries, but rechargeable!

However Jelockwood brings up a good point with the discharge current. Tado gives only the advise to take "any" alkaline batteries, but I couldn't find anything about an appropriate discharge. But as there are Lithiums out there with 1.180 mAh as well as up to 3.000 mAh, it should be possible to find a suitable option, shouldn't it?

I would love to hear new insights about your test run, Mytado.

Kind regards, Mark

• MyTada
    MyTada
    edited November 2019
    The battery I am using is still working, no problem. A single charge has been running for 6 months now. But I have decided to recharge it as Tado will not warn me of a cliff edge voltage drop (a feature of the technology and battery). I recommend anyone to use it as it works and reduces the amount of waste to the planet!!
  • How did anyone get on with Lithium Ion rechargeables for TRVs? The only thing I am not sure about is how it knows when they are running out, since they sustain a full 1.5v over use. I have just installed Tado but may try it on one TRV to see.
  • I use rechargeables across the board and the workaround for me is basically just to have a reminder every 6 months just to recharge every battery in the house. Most of the time tado is reporting that the batteries are low when in fact they're working fine. A real oversight from their side because most people have no intention of filling landfill with dead batteries.