Energy IQ all wrong...

Options

Hi there

I've been studiously putting in my meter readings - every day in fact - in to Energy IQ. The problem is the estimated usage (and therefore cost) is totally wrong. What's going on and how do I fix it?

I do use gas for showers and cooking, but my non-heating gas usage is really minimal, and presumably pretty fixed across the year (an average of 23m^3/month in June-Aug when the heating was completely off at all times).

When I look at the meter read data I have input into Tado, in January I used 337m^3 (so let's say that should be c.300m^3 of heating). But when I go to Energy IQ it says I used 150.16m^3 in the chart (so it's assuming that more than 50% of my gas usage is for non-heating activity). This obviously then massively underestimates the cost of my heating...

Any ideas what I can do to change the assumption on the amount of gas that goes to non-heating activity? Or have I totally misunderstood how Energy IQ works?

Comments

• GrayDav4276
    Options

@tgm21

There is absolutely nothing that you can do to align your actual 'heating' usage figures.

Tado have made a decision on how to 'calculate' the differential between total gas consumption and the 'heating' consumption. Exactly how they have 'guessed' this is beyond my comprehension......as we have never told tado° anything about our homes or our devices that use gas.

This entire feature is no more than a "sales gimmick" to convince potential new customers to sign up to tado°s subscription service.......none of which 'appears' to function in a useable manner.

• tgm21
    Options

Except that I have... I gave them my meter readings in June so they know I didn't use any heating then but did have 24m^3 of usage, so they do have that reference point.

Clearly the feature should be much much smarter. Or at a minimum let me tell them.

• GrayDav4276
    Options
    You appear to have missed my point....it's up to tado to alter their calculations to try to align the results......no matter what you do won't alter Tado's totally inaccurate method of estimating our "Heating" usage.....it's all rubbish.
  • wateroakley
    wateroakley ✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Options

We put the data into a spreadsheet daily, kWh for gas/leccy, CET (outside temperature), and EV kWh. That way we can analyze the usage data with certainty. With continued frugality in February 23, monthly gas kWh usage is about 38% less than previous months at the same outside temperature 2018-21. That’s quite a lot better than Tado suggests we saved in February.

The spreadsheet data shows the step-down of leccy usage and ROI from replacing older computers that run science programs 24x7.

We also use the Loop app that downloads smart meter data to a tablet/phone and provides some alternative ways of looking at the usage.

• adrianis
    Options

Tado! Give us the option to turn off guessing the consumption by splitting it non-heating activities, if there are NONE (induction hob and electric boiler)!