Create a range extender or let us use a second bridge...

Options
Having olny 1 bridge per house is a massive design flaw yet to be addressed by Tado. Unless you leave in a tiny house made of cardboard walls, the TRV wlll lose connection or burn batteries in only a matter I'd a couple of weeks.
I live in a house across 3 floors, I really struggle with the range and can't have full coverage (and yes, i tried every possible bridge position in the house...
Being able to have a second bridge or having repeaters (wired thermostat for instance) is essential...
Please please please tado... Listen to your user community...
Note': I reposted this idea as the first post from 2017 is completely ignored by Tado...
19 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Tig
    Options

Totally agree with you @Happytoon and many people are still waiting for this small upgrade...

• nicholsr
    Options
    100% agree. Tado have been dodging this question for years. This is a serious problem for me. And yes I have tried all the many suggestions.
  • Also agree with this. I live in an old (built in 1750) granite walled house and the radio signal is just not strong enough to cover the entire building. I bought a second bridge by mistake and decided to set this up, it works. However it does mean I have to have two Tado accounts and don’t get a single view in things like the EnergyIQ feature.
  • Rovi
    Options

I was involved in the home automation industry and meshing networks and repeaters have been around for ages. I should have known better when I purchased Tado (I thought it was a meshing system) and it worked well for the first year. Now I have a wireless TRV which randomly goes offline and causes the whole system to come on when it shouldn't. This is just poor programming by Tado. Unless a repeater appears soon (Tado just have a look around it shouldn't be hard to find a plugin repeater you can adapt), I may start again and use Drayton's Wiser system which appears to use wireless meshing technology.

• Going to have to get rid of Tado because of this. Recently when a TRV looses signal it seems to open the radiator and call for heat, but the app shows nothing. This is Buring oil and wasting my money. It's random and incredibly frustrating after nearly €1000 investing.

I've a mix of expensive Tado "smart" TRV's and traditional TRV's.....I've 2 smart TRV's in a box I can't use!

If tado haven't released an update to allow a 2nd bridge they can't, or won't!

Damn shame
  • This ties in with the problem of losing connection entirely, either across the home Tado network, or the internet.

In either case, control is lost and quite possibly the heating, depending on time of disconnect. It is not practical to manually adjust each device and to remove child lock, the devices need to be removed for battery removal and reset.

Tado, you will eventually lose many customers if you cannot offer a solution to this very fundamental problem, in fact, it's really a design flaw and I don't know how it was missed.

• GCaster
    Options
    Well, I’m concerned too, nearly a year waiting for an appropriate answer from Tado° :'(
  • Pancake
    Options

Does anyone from Tado ever read and respond to these posts? I hope prospective customers do.

I run a B&B, 5 beds over 3 floors with lots of solid brick walls. In 2021 I installed 19 Tado wifi TRVs, wireless smart thermostat with hot water controller. I have spent over £1,000 on taco products. When it works it is great BUT when it doesn't work it is pants.

I have contacted Tado directly but feel fobbed off.

The internet bridge intermittently goes haywire and some or all TRVs go offline. Switching the bridge on and off doesn't always resolve this issue and it can be a struggle to get some/all of the TRVs back online. I have tried moving the bridge around the 2nd floor landing which has an open stairwell. I have wifi extenders on the 2nd and 3rd landings. Is it worth adding more wifi extenders? Or is it a problem on some German server?

What are the alternatives to Tado?

• JimH
    JimH ✭✭
    Options
    Come on Tado - please get this sorted - Philips have just enabled multiple Hue hubs and have fixed the same issue…..
  • GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I really don't think that tado is interested in this request......
  • Scrawf
    Options
    Yes this is a massive failing of the Tado system. This is a must for lots of people but Tado couldn’t care less about it. The have absolutely no interest in developing this as 95% of their customers don’t need it. But this is a massive problem for those that do. Just Google this problem and you find literally hundreds of people complaining about this issue. I’m getting rid of this worthless system and moving to Drayton Wiser
  • Tim_Adams
    Options

This is indeed a problem with which many of us Tado users who live in large and/or multi-storey houses have had to contend for a very long while. I have been a Tado user for more than a decade and it is most regrettable that Tado still hasn’t yet bothered to deal with it.

Until recently I had been using a set of BT mesh discs for signals to reach all four corners of this house, with the LAN port of the disc placed in the centre of the house connected via a short cable to the Internet Bridge. Still there were constant problems with dropped signals to the TRVs at either end of the house, and there were similar issues with our Sonos speakers. It was only after talking to Sonos (try talking to Tado!) that they suggested we should replace our BT mesh discs with a more reliable mesh system such as the TP-Link Deco.

Setting up the Deco as a secondary router was almost as simple as replugging the Internet Bridge into the new node in the centre of the house. Perhaps disabling the wifi in the primary router was a little more tricky. Since then there have been no more dropped connections of any kind or the constant need to replace the batteries in our TRVs.

Especially with the advent of so many wifi devices, I would not venture to suggest that a proper reliable mesh network is the solution for every large house. But Tado have had plenty of time to wake up and resolve the connection issues with their Internet Bridge. Let us hope that they are now emerging from their slumber.

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Not so much a "slumber" more like "hibernation"