w.Intercom = i;"Summer/Cooling mode" for wall thermostat - Page 3 — tado° Community

"Summer/Cooling mode" for wall thermostat

13»

Comments

• I have recently installed at heat pump in my home in the UK and also need this summer reverse logic function.
  • ..and we are halfway through 2024. Cooling control for air/water heat pumps is essential, heat pumps are being installed all over the world and in Europe there is a directive that bans gas boilers.
    I read comments here (from 3 years ago!) that talk about compatibility with many brands, but basically it's just a simple software question: why hasn't the feature been released yet?
    We all just want:
    - manually switch the heat pump to "cold"
    - reverse the software function of the thermostat, to start the heat pump when the room temperature "rises above the threshold", instead of "falls below the threshold"

• Kwiatek
    Kwiatek
    edited October 17

Hi. Can it be possible to make all Tado open and close fully ex. once a week? Many old rhermostates wont opperate after closed 3-4 months summertime.
    Regards
    Kenneth

• Emcee
    Emcee Admin
    edited October 17

@SteveIreland and @kwiatek, your suggestions have been merged here.

• I really don’t understand why such an expensive system like Tado doesn’t have this simple software feature.
  • Hi Tado: still no response on this point?
    Think about this: people around the world are switching from gas boilers in favor of water/air heat pumps, new heat pumps are being developed to allow users to use standard radiators... all to benefit of energy from different sources and no longer burn gas.
    This is real energy saving, automatic/remote switching on and off of gas boilers is an old story - change the statements on your website or adapt them.

• RexANY
    RexANY
    edited October 17
    I have a mixed heating system that includes wood and a heat pump … when the wood kitchen is working and hot this shut the heat pump off, and the radiator get hot water from the wood kitchen.

The problem is that in such situation the thermostat valves should NEVER be closed on all radiators, because this could make the water pressure go higher and higher and this could damage the system.

For now as workaround I always have to remember to get one of the thermostats off from the radiator … but it’s not convenient … I would like to have to option to set a valve open despite the temperature.
  • Unknown
    edited October 17
    This content has been removed.
  • Unknown
    edited October 17
  • Unknown
    edited October 17
  • 14spc
    14spc
    edited October 17

+1, my TRV body manufacturer recommends this. I will be using the posted workaround in the meantime.

• TomTrumper
    edited October 17
    I dunno if there’s an option to do this already but it’d be great if it was possible to keep a valve always open but still able to request heat; I’ve got a radiator in the bathroom that I’d like to use as a bypass but still call for heat when it’s cold.
  • eezytiger
    eezytiger ✭✭✭
    edited October 17

@TomTrumper Just loosen off the SRT so that it cannot close the pin. You can still have it request heat and it will remain open at all times.

• Apparently they don't even bother reading these posts, no reaction to trivial customer requests. My best advise to all who consider buying tado thermostat for cooling: don't do it. Choose another brand.
  • We are investing a lot in heat pump control. We have dedicated hardware for water based heat pumps nowadays, plus we've entered the market for dynamic energy tariffs, which is especially useful for heat pump users. Clearly, adding cooling support for our dedicated heating hardware makes a lot of sense. For us.

From my perspective, it is not a question of 'if'. Only a question of 'when'. And that's something I honestly cannot answer.

• Thanks Rob, even though this is a "marketing" response.
    In the meantime, many Home Automation users (myself included) have already tested the solution to completely bypass the Tado thermostat, to have a winter/summer configuration that enables/disables the heat pump (at a fraction of the cost of a single Tado thermostat, including all necessary hardware).

This is certainly not a solution suitable for all users, but it is a reality and also an indicator of users' attention to the topic

• Rob
    Rob Admin
    edited September 9

@mikinturin You're right that it sounds like a marketing answer, but it is an honest answer none the less. It is in our benefit to release such a feature. My point is that we are not ignoring this feature. I cannot be more concrete than that at this point.

This comment obviously does not help you cool down on a hot day in September 2024. I do realise that.

• Maekov
    Maekov
    edited September 9
    Hi @Rob,
    I appreciate the answer, good to know that you keep an eye on the posts in this forum at least.
    But also mind that this thread has been open for a while: since 2021.
    My advice: release some very basic support for cooling (an "MVP" :), then you have time to improve it. Believe me, everyone would be happy with a basic software switch for heating/cooling + allowing higher target temperature.

BTW, I also put together the "hardware solution" with the 2-way switch (called 3-way in some countries I think) to reverse the NC and NO legs of the thermostat and the - 9.9C temperature offset. But this has some limitations too (the thermostat not showing the real temperature, it's not really possible to "turn off the thermostat entirely", not possible to change between heating and cooling remotely, etc.) and it feels a shame to solve it like this, when even a 15€ thermostat has a jumper to reverse the logic.

So don't overthink :) go for an MVP, tell your PO, SPM,... I know bureaucracy in big companies, I also work for one... :/
  • @Maekov completely agree with the "tip" you gave Rob.
    A comment on the "workaround" solution you have implemented: in this way you completely avoid all the special features of Tado, my advice however is to turn it off and switch to a Home Automation environment: in this way you can build a completely automated system and controlled, just add a thermostat and switch to open/close the underfloor heating/cooling, at a fraction of the cost of a single Tado thermostat.

I think Tado should take note of these two alternative solutions, I imagine you can find dozens of others on the web.