"Summer/Cooling mode" for wall thermostat

Hi there,

I have an underfloor heating with a cooling function. In summer, cool water can run through the floor to cool the room. For that I currently need to set the temperature to max (25°C) to keep the thermostats open. If the room temperature would rise above 25°C the thermostats would close and prohibit a cooling function.

For that reason a "summer mode" would be nice. My idea is to invert the heating logic to a cooling logic, either by a switch or by a threshold average outside temperature etc). Then the thermostats would open if the temperatur is above the desired room temperature. Anyone backing this?

5 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Wouldn't connecting up the Smart AC control to your underfloor cooling system achieve this?

Can't imagine tado have any plans or desire to merge their two products in to one, reducing their revenue.

• @martinploeger you can achieve what you need with the existing App. The Tado thermostat has two outputs. The NC output calls for heat when the room temperature is below target. When the room is at or above target the NO output is energised to call for cooling. If your UFH uses a single input for both heating and cooling mode then you install a 3-way light switch between the thermostat and the UFH. The light switch toggles between summer mode and winter mode.

• Thanks for the comments. First of all I do not have a AC Control and I do not intend to install an additional AC Control besides every Thermostat, as well as an additional switch in every room. I'd only like a software toggle to invert the heating/cooling logic in summer. It cannot be that hard to change a "bigger than" to a "less than". The option can also be hidden if you do not enable this in setting (e.g. "I own a heating system with integrated cooling option"). I just thought of this as an USP for tado... as other smart thermostats to not have this to my knowledge. "dumb" thermostats partially have a switch for inverted logic, but also very few.

• I also cannot think of many people, who would install twice as much devices for this. So it would IMHO not reduce their revenue.

• martinploeger
    edited March 4

@Justcop Also the AC Control - to my knowledge - only controls AC via infrared signal. So I believe this won't work.

• They could even make it an in app purchase if the development is that complex or they fear for their revenue if they must.

• Jurian
    Jurian | Admin

Cooling via a wired thermostat is such a niche at this time (in europe, it is common in the USA) that supporting it does not make sense for us at this time.

However, unofficially tado already supports this because the tado thermostats have a normally closed (NC) port available. This should allow you to change from heating to cooling mode by switching the NO wire to the NC port. (only if your heating system can also be set to cooling mode)

• Jurian, I'm sorry to hear that. As far as I know, Spain is in Europe.

In Spain it is very commoon cooling via a wired thermostat (heating/cooling floors with air to water heat pumps).

I am not purchasing tado till the date, waiting for an easy integration of the cooling function.
  • What's more, my annual consumption in cooling mode is higher than in heating mode. In future years, climate change even will increase the consumption in summer. Probably not only in Spain but in many other european territories.