Support current and more recent Vaillant eBus controllers

Tado asserts the benefits of modulating boiler control and touts compatibility with Valiant and eBus. However, the reality is rather grim. It turns out that as of 2019-03 eBus is only supported in these scenarios using the now discontinued VR65 controller. No other controllers are supported (VR66 for example). This means that tado has very limited Vaillant/eBus compatibility and most will be forced to use only binary switched live controls, and not benefit from the additional comfort and efficiency provided by modulated control.

Please can we see some efforts to keep pace with what I imagine is a relatively slow moving target. It is sad that in 2019 one of the leading smart thermostats constrains home owners into choosing outmoded and inefficient control methods.

1 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• FrankFrank | Admin

Hi,

Unfortunately we have to reverse-engineer most interfaces from scratch as not all boiler manufacturers are interested in a partnership or in assisting an alternative control device to their own, hence it can take time to do so properly (assuming that there are no legal issues preventing us from doing so).

Best regards,

Frank

• @teabot @Frank

I hope Tado do eventually succeed in reverse engineering the new VR66 controller.

In the meantime another possible but less than ideal solution might be to use the Valiant VR33 OpenTherm conversion module. See - https://wifithermostaten.nl/vaillant-opentherm-module-vr33.html

This is actually an official Valiant part but is intended only for sale in the Netherlands which may have a local requirement for the use of OpenTherm compatible products.

Tado is as far as I can tell unique in supporting both eBus and OpenTherm protocols - most other smart thermostats support either OpenTherm and on/off control but not eBus, for example Nest v3 supports OpenTherm but not eBus.

However be warned even though the above VR33 part is a genuine Valiant part and even if you get it fitted by an approved engineer Valiant will consider this to invalidate any warranty - at least here in the UK.

Tado regard eBus as being superior to OpenTherm but OpenTherm does still give you the most important benefit of modulated control.

This news however might lend additional weight to my plans to get a Worcester Bosch boiler instead.