Tado app gets "Heating to" temp wrong and keeps overheating the house

Options
13»

Answers

• RichardN
    Options

I've got a simple Python script going that scapes the downstairs thermostat data every minute.

A few details that I found interesting.

The 'Heating Demand' that is shown with the 3 bars in the app actually has a lot more finer grained control in the back-end. I've seen 8%, 40% etc.. It's not just 0, 33, 66 and 100.

The inside temperature reading of the thermostat only updates every 15 minutes or so. It lists the timestamp of the last reading. This seems quite slow.

The aim of the script is to capture moments when the algorithm is going wrong for more ammo to give to support.

• GrayDav4276
    Options

Ammo is good but the target (tado°) isn't listening to anyone.

• RichardN
    Options

Anyone noticed any improvement lately?

I've not noticed any serious overshoots since they reset my configuration.

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Nothing more than a degree over, usually when the weather changes.
  • Montage
    Montage ✭✭✭
    Options

This is what mine looks like today. Pretty consistent. Rises at the end when I turned it up a degree.

• RodneyRabbit
    Options

Late reply but this is the first thread that shows up in a web search.

I have recently had the same problem and the explanation from tado is disingenious.

Same usage pattern as 'Karmageddon 16th Feb 2021 03:51' - First thing I did was delete all the time blocks and for 1.5 years I used manual control for individual rooms. In Nov '23 I set my first schedule time blocks for 18 degrees day and 16 night. It worked okay for a week or two, then suddenly started heating the room to 18.3, 18.5 and so on (immediately as I modified the schedule once it was already active). At that EXACT time the app started displaying 'Inside now 18.3' but continued to say 'Heating to 18 degrees'. I am CONVINCED it's a software bug because it only displays the 'Heating to' message for 1 out of 8 rooms, and only from the exact time I made a second change to the schedule for that room.

(I do have another small room that's set to 12 and overheats to almost 15, but that's becuse the radiator is massively oversized, apparently tado is so smart that it can't figure out that shutting the heat off earlier would let the room continue to warm up from resudual rad heat. So smart.)

The issue is not continual heating either, but it would get to 18.3, the CH light on the receiver turns off, the relay clicks off, the boiler turns off. But then a minute later WHILE ALL ROOMS ARE ALREADY WELL PAST THEIR SET POINTS, the CH light comes on, the relay clicks on and the boiler starts up again. So it's not even incidentally heating past the set point because their algorithm can't profile a room and calculate how to switch off early leaving the residual heat to finish the job. It's switching off just after the set point, then for some reason it's literally making a decision to turn the heating back on again even though all rooms are already warm.

My DAILY gas consumption for December went from £3/day to nearly £7/day just from letting them control the schedule.

So I contacted tado and got to this reply last week:

""

Hello,

Thank you for the information-

According to our data, it seems that the Smart Radiator Thermostat works correctly.

The tado° Smart Thermostat is a PID controlled thermostat. This means that tado° not only looks at the current temperature but also at the overall temperature trend.

In other words, it will turn the heating on until the room temperature increases just above the set-point. Then the heating will remain off until the temperature starts to drop.

In doing this, tado° can prevent your heating from switching on and off too frequently and thereby protect the boiler from excessive wear and tear. It is also much more efficient in terms of energy usage.

It can also happen that, when tado° notices the temperature is dropping very quickly, it will start to heat in order to prevent the temperature from dropping too far below the set-point, even though the current temperature is above the set-point.

""

But that's exactly what it is doing: switching the heating on and off repeatedly, subjecting my boiler to excessive wear and tear, just at a temperature that they choose which is higher than the temperature I asked them for.

So basically I have smart heating that's less smart than the dumb heating it replaced. Simple fact: If I leave their algorithm to control it then I get huge bills. I also tried manual control with set temperatures, but even that still overheats the room then continues turning the boiler on and off, while displaying 'Heating to' FOR ONE ROOM ONLY. So the only option is to use basic manual control where I have to constantly monitor the app with my eyes then manually switch off when I'm warm enough. At least my old thermostat could be set to 18, then indefinitely heat to 18, cool down to 17.5, heat to 18. Apparently tado is incapable of replicating this lmao.

Yet they act like nothing on their side could ever possibly be a bug, it's always something you're doing - signal, positioning, batteries, even getting a plumber in to move radiators around so the TRV is closer to the bridge comes into their heads before the thought 'these guys might find a wireless repeater useful'. No, they supply the bridge with a 30cm cable then tell you that to get a good signal, be prepared to hang it in the middle of the room off a light shade like some kind of modern art ornament.

On one hand they have a 'energy guarantee' where they will accept a return if you can prove your energy bills are more expensive.

On the other hand they keep repeatedly turning the boiler on and off when the room is already well past the temperature, under the guise of 'some kind of predictive heating' and 'protecting the boiler'. But their system cycles the boiler anyway, and heats to a higher temp, then keeps burning gas. And anyone who has watched a government ad for 'turning it down by one degree saves money' (or anyone who saw my bill for December) would instantly notice that there's no way heating to 18.5+ is ever going to be cheaper than heating to 18, or that repeatedly cycling the boiler is an acceptable thing to do.

I tried the energy guarantee route and they simply ignored the requests, as well as any questions I asked about warranty, eventually being told if I am not happy with tado then I should remove it and sell it (even though I was still in warranty, and reporting a faulty product). So I was stuck with it, the only alternative being to travel to Germany to sue them, because of course they have that clause in their T&C that any legal action will take place in their country. To me that just indicates that many of us have gone down the same route so tado already know how to deal with us.

Personally I think their business model is 'sell hardware then fob people off til they get frustrated and replace it.' Because their heating doesn't work properly, but let's face it they will never fix it or even admit it. Notice how their only option to get 'support' is a featureless chat box that feels like trying to shout through a tiny hole in a wall? That's by design.

• RichardN
    Options

I do find overshoots less of an issue if you lower your flow temperature. It's almost like Tado has been tested on low flow temp systems and doesn't respond quick enough if you turn it up.

This kind of interacts with the thermostats only updating every 15 minutes. I suspect they did this to try and smooth out their system. Their algorithm to me just seems badly implemented.

Like you say, a dumb thermostat seems to regulate better than Tado a lot of the time.

I wish heating controller companies would open source their software so issues like this could be fixed. I hate this closed software mentality, that they know best. They clearly don't given the number of issues like this people have.

Had the algorithm been open source, bugs like this would have been fixed years ago.

• johnbur
    johnbur ✭✭✭
    Options
    Nobody from tado looks at these forums anymore, so this will not get fixed
  • RodneyRabbit
    Options

I agree. Soon as I can afford to, I'm selling it to some other poor mug and putting my old timer back in, then just run around the house adjusting TRVs as needed. It's far, far cheaper to run. And I think they know that, that's why they ignore any support questions I ask about why my tado uses more than 2x as much gas.

Or look for an open source version. But I'm tired of having to invest hundreds of £££'s in something just to find out it's unconfigurable and doesn't work properly.

Their 'tado is working properly' responses are frustrating. I think it's intentionally designed that way. Their extremely limited chat support system seems to support that, with no ability to view or export previous conversations - it's intentionally encrappified, designed to cause frustration through obfuscation and confusion, designed to make us get frustrated and give up.

They don't care, they already made the sale.

At this point I just hope some poor potential future customers have the foresight to read these posts before deciding to invest in this rubbish.