Is tado° smart thermostat + extension kit v3+ compatible with Vaillant turboTEC plus VUV RO 242/3-5?

Hello, i buyed these days the tado° smart thermostat + extension kit v3+, they are on the road :) and untill they arrive, i need some support. Right now my "setup" is:

• Vaillant turboTEC plus VUV RO 242/3-5 R2 gas boiler
  • Salus RT500RF (wireless thermostat - not smart)
  • water heating radiators
  • not any others heating controllers

Right now (i think only) my actual thermostat it's tied with my gas boiler for ON and OFF. And i understand tado° support eBUS (Vaillant) and OpenTherm (for my future Beretta Quadra Green 25 CSI).

Please support me (better with images also) to tie Tado extension kit wires on my Vaillant eBUS protocol (if it is compatible), also for ON and OFF (for the case eBUS is not compatible or something else).

Thank you in advance, have an great weekend!

Best Answers

• scgf
    scgf ✭✭
    Answer ✓

I don't know if that particular boiler has eBUS connections. When you add your Tado Extension Kit to the phone app you will see this screen with 'Installation Instructions' at the bottom. This will tell you how to connect the Extension kit to your boiler.

• scgf
    scgf ✭✭
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓
    Then it’s easy. Connect the eBUS + and - to the + and - connectors on the right side of the Extension box backplate. No other connections are necessary. Configure the thermostat to use D07 and turn off HW and it should work. Any other boiler controls you have should be set so the boiler is permanently on - Tado will then be able to control it.
  • gary333
    gary333 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Tado have made the thermometer a bit cheaper than the thermostats, but in my opinion they are still priced far too high. It needs to be max £45, but it’s currently about £65-£70.

If it was that price it would be a great little unit for helping in rooms where the valves don’t pickup the correct temperature due to their location. Although it’s more limited in flexibility does what it needs to :).
  • Drew77
    Drew77
    Answer ✓

@VFlorin thank you very much for your detailed information about the correct model to buy, your information got a bit lost so I just wanted to share this.

I got the latest v3+ EU wireless receiver in the UK searching for model number below. There were only a few places selling it

V3P-WRB01-TC-EU-00

Answers

• Thank you. On page 13 it says MAX 36 V DC, that’s low voltage. My energy in here is 230V.
  • Ok. That makes it sound like you shouldn’t be touching this stuff.

The ebus connections are always low voltage. You won’t be using the mains voltage.

• I`m sorry, i realize i don't know how to do it, but i still want to try (safe mode). Just need better explanations how to wire them and to know IF I REALLY CAN USE THAT BUS port.

• VFlorin
    VFlorin
    edited February 2021

@scgf seems it has :)

Before 7 8 9 at 24V

• @scgf and in that way, no need for 230V connection on extension kit i suppose?
    Thank you!
  • scgf
    scgf ✭✭
    edited February 2021
    @VFlorin No. Just the two wires.
  • @VFlorin some of the new Vaillant boilers are not compatible with eBus using external controls like Tado. See here for more info: https://community.tado.com/en-gb/discussion/657/support-current-and-more-recent-vaillant-ebus-controllers/p1

Hopefully you have an older controller that will be compatible with eBus otherwise you can use relay
  • @tadouser1000 thank you! From my pictures, can we find which type of VR control centre i have? How i can check this my self?

• scgf
    scgf ✭✭
    edited February 2021

@tadouser1000 That issue may well be resolved by now, but in any case it only applied where a VR66 controller is used. A VR65 or a VR66 is used to connect together various devices to interface with a Vaillant boiler. In @VFlorin's case this is not an issue and the eBUS connections can be made between the Tado Extension box and the boiler itself. There is every chance this connection should work. My Vaillant is just a couple of months old. No VR module was needed and the eBUS connections on the boiler were wired to the eBUS connections on the Extension box backplate and it has been working flawlessly ever since.

• My gas boiler was buyed in 2013, its not that new :) Can't find in documentation which type of VR has.

• @VFlorin as I said earlier, you probably don't have a VR controller. The VR is a separate box which is connected to the boiler and interfaces with other elements of your system. This is what it looks like:

• Ooo, i see, well i dont have this VR then. Then job must be simple after this...

• scgf
    scgf ✭✭
    edited February 2021

@VFlorin When you disconnect your current thermostat you will need to make sure your boiler is permanently on so that Tado can take control. To do this, you bridge terminals 3 and 4 - this is what your current thermostat would be doing when it needs to fire the boiler. I have attached a photo so you can see what I mean.

Can anyone corroborate what I am saying? Is this bridge necessary when connecting a Tado extension kit to the boiler eBUS terminals? I am 95% sure it is, but I'm not opening my boiler to check.

• VFlorin
    VFlorin
    edited February 2021
    Good to know about that bridge, i will wait somebody to confirm/infirm.
  • Hello again to all, i buyed few days ago, from Amazon, kit tado° wireless smart thermostat starter kit v3+ with hot water control V3P-SK-ST01EK01IB01-TC-UK , with Extension Kit, wireless smart thermostat and bridge

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07VXBMC14/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

but Amazon sent to me new kit V3P-SK-WTS01WRP01IB01-TC-UK, with Wireless receiver (programmer), wireless temperature sensor and bridge.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/tado%C2%B0-Wireless-Thermostat-Starter-Assistant/dp/B08LP1LS5T?ref_=ast_sto_dp

As i told already, my actual gas boiler is Vaillant turboTEC plus VUW RO 242/3-5 (eBUS) and untill next winter, i will buy Quadra Green 25 CSI (OpenTherm).

I talk with Marco@tado and he told me, my Vaillant can work with eBUS if i will re-wire my boiler and then, connect to new wireless receiver (programmer)?

• Can somebody explain me (with pictures will be a lot better also) how to do that?
    This mess started today, when i received something else i buyed.

Also, Marco told me second boiler Quadra Green 25 CSI, can work on OpenTherm interface and this wireless receiver (programmer).

• True?

• scgf
    scgf ✭✭
    edited February 2021

I'm not sure I understand your problem. To control your boiler with Tado you need:

1 x extension kit

1 x smart thermostat

1 x bridge.

You don't need anything else unless you want to complicate things by buying radiator thermostats and so on. The bridge plugs into your router.

You mount the extension box near your boiler and use two-core cable to connect the eBUS + and - connections on the boiler to the same + and - connections on the extension kit backplate (right side).

You locate the thermostat where you normally spend most of your time (lounge or dining room?). It can go anywhere as long as it is not too far for the wireless connection between it and the extension box. The thermostat talks to the boiler wirelessly through the extension kit so connecting it all is part of the setup. As you go through the thermostat configuration steps this is what you need to set it to:

TS

HC01

HW X

EK ✓

D07

If Amazon has sent you the wrong items, arrange a return and re-order. This is the starter kit you need:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/tado%C2%B0-Wireless-Thermostat-Starter-Assistant/dp/B08LP1LS5T

@Montage has linked the thermostat configuration guide earlier in this thread. The Vaillant eBUS section is clear.

• VFlorin
    VFlorin
    edited February 2021
    @scgf that’s the problem, i did not receive the extension kit, i received the wireless receiver (programmer) + wireless temperature sensor + bridge.
    That wireless receiver dont have eBUS port.
    https://i.paste.pics/BP4M3.png
  • I've never seen anything that before!

I edited my post to point you to the Amazon item you need, but because of the link the post hasn't appeared yet - apparently it needs to be moderated. Goodness knows why! This is a Tado forum and I'm telling you which Tado product to buy. They are fools, clearly!

• VFlorin
    VFlorin
    edited February 2021

I buyed this:

Received kit from your link pasted. Kit from your link is not with eBUS connection.

It look like this:

• Ahhh, I see, this is a newer unit. I know nothing about it. I only have experience of the kit which has been available for the past decade. You should return it and buy the older kit.
  • VFlorin
    VFlorin
    edited February 2021

Also Tado told me, is no need to return this, since its new unit (maybe some benefits).

Also they say, this new unit work with eBUS after re-wired the boiled. But they can't support me with this.

JESUS, it's so complicated!

Must find somebody who did this (or know how to do it), and support me (others as well) in here.

• The unit you received can definitely NOT do eBus as it doesn’t have the outputs.

You appear to have received the UK newer model, and not the EU model. Maybe Tado thought you had the EU model as I presume you are not in the UK?

If you need to control hot water separately (I.e. it’s not a standard combi boiler setup where hot water is controlled by boiler itself) then you would need the product you tried to order originally I.e.the starter kit with the extension.

If you don’t need separate hot water control the EU version of the kit you currently have would work.

The extension is the most flexible of the 3 receivers.
  • VFlorin
    VFlorin
    edited February 2021

@gary333 , thank you!

Yes indeed, this one i received, is the UK new model, not EU. I chat and send pics with this model to Tado, they already saw it...and confirmed it will work with eBUS port after i will re-wired my gas boiler. God knows what he mean by re-wired.

And yes, i`m not in UK.

Also, my gas boiler is without separated hot water tank, it's standard (boiler control temp of hot water).

So, to understand better:

I. actual kit i received, with wireless receiver (programmer) is the one i needed but the EU version? EU will have eBUS port?

II. this UK version i have it, will it even work as normal relay ON/OFF since is not for EU?

III. UK version of old extension kit (which i normal ordered), has eBUS port to be compatible with my EU gas boiler?

I'm so frustrated by this situation ... :(

• gary333
    gary333 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

I can understand why you would be frustrated as it seems to me like you have asked them a question that they should have been able to answer simply.

Answer to your questions (as far as I am aware):

I. The kit you have will not work with eBUS and yes, if you had the EU version it would have the eBus facility to wire in to your boiler. You will find the instructions here to the EU version which shows the eBUS setup

https://www.tado.com/start/manuals/st/Wireless%20Smart%20Thermostat%20Manual.pdf

II. The UK version will never work with eBUS and only as a relay ON/OFF mode.

III. I think the extension kit is the same for all areas so not UK specific. I think there is only one model of this. If you had the extension kit you would not have had any problems. Below are the instructions for the "extension kit", as you will see it's very similar to the EU version above

https://www.tado.com/start/manuals/st/Extension%20Kit%20Manual%20-%20Low%20Voltage%20Digital%20Installations.pdf

One other point to note. Is that you could just wire the wall thermostat directly to the boiler if that is an option, this means you don't even need the receiever or extension at all. The extension and/or receiver is only needed if you want hot water control or cannot wire the wall thermost in the location where you want it to be. The wired wall thermostat has eBUS functionality built in (as well as 230v & 24v RT)

• @gary333 , i cannot thank you enough!

New EU unit kit saw right now it is a lot expensive! +100£ LOL.

But anyway, since i ordered the UK old extension kit, and you tell me (and manual also) it's same for EU, i will talk with Amazon tomorrow to replace it. I really hope will not be difficulties in here also.

To be honest, this is not my fault.

I still have two questions, if you don't mind:

• just saw (in the manual you provided me) the old extension kit also know OpenTherm. But i read, in this forum, it can't work, only eBUS or relay ON/OFF. Is OT in working condition also? I don't ask for Vaillant boiler :)
    • can UK old extension kit, control temp of hot water like new UK wireless receiver unit?

Last thing, i need to stay without an wired smart thermostat, i need the wireless one and the extension kit to be connected via boiler.

Thank you again!

• gary333
    gary333 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

Hi, Yes, hopefully Amazon will change your current order for either of those two kits for you :).

I am not entirely sure about Opentherm. I cannot see why it wouldn't work for boilers which support it as it still uses the "digital" +/- connections the same as eBUS does. It's likely all these BUS and similar protocols are probably all based around some similar logic as opentherm, just that the boiler manufacturers have tried to make life difficult so you buy their controllers. Vaillant boilers in the UK don't support opentherm so this might be what people on here have been referring to.

The old extension kit (at least on the surface) appears to be the best out of all 3 as it can do both central heating, hot water along with eBUS. The EU version doesn't do hot water, but does do eBUS. However, as you don't need hot water control then either is going to be suitable.

Good luck