Changes to the Firmware Update System

Options

Instead of having to contact support to see if an update is available and getting a massive statement about "staged rollouts" and allowing you to "address issues early" - I still think the app should show if updates are available but state that it's rolling out, and then people won't have to contact support to see if there's a new firmware available.

They'll only have to contact support if it hasn't updated in a long time! Maybe also state the date the device was last updated.

Or just allow us to manually update, when looking at individual devices in the app, and have the option to revert to the previous firmware if we encounter any issues. Just limit the amount of users who can be downloading firmware's at once, and have a user queue (people who've requested a firmware, but there's too many people currently downloading) to keep server loads reasonable.

32 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Steven
    Options

I've used Tado for over a year now, I've not had one instance where I've ever had to worry about what firmware version is running on anything.

• Jakosaur
    Options

1) On installation of a product, update firmware if available.

2) Regardless of what production line a product came on, if the product is the same - make the firmware number the same for the end user.

3) When looking at a device's details, if the device's firmware is out of date - have a notice saying a "new firmware is available". If you want to continue with your periodic automatic updates add "and will be pushed to the device automatically" to the notice. If you'll allow us to manually update our devices alongside periodic update checking, have an update button.

Just think this will cut out the need to contact support "if" you want to check your device's firmware.

• ChrisJ
    Options

I really agree with all these comments. The current firmware update mechanism is strange and somewhat archaic to be honest. More information is needed about available updates, the schedule when they will be pushed and the ability to force an update 'now'.