w.Intercom = i;Tado X - Information Released — tado° Community

Tado X - Information Released

For those following the latest release, the Tado Website has now started showing information regarding Tado X products.

https://www.tado.com/de-de/installieren-new
Tagged:

Comments

• Thread and Matter support is also confirmed within the FAQ’s.
  • hugbilly
    hugbilly ✭✭✭

Think I need a better translation than Google's . . .

• @hugbilly here is the English version https://www.tado.com/de-en/installation-new
  • royi
    royi ✭✭✭

It would be interested to see if existing Tado products can be upgraded or will have to purchase a new system to have the benefits of having the offline/local facility.

• https://www.tink.at/b/tado Another website which has listed the full range of X thermostats - assume release must be imminent.
  • pcone
    pcone ✭✭✭

The 'expert review' here confirms that the new bridge is not compatible with V2/V3 devices. https://www.tink.at/p/tado-bridge-x

• Emcee
    Emcee Admin
    edited May 15

Hello @royi and @pcone,

tado°'s V1, V2, V3, V3+ devices work by communicating with an internet bridge using a proprietary radio frequency protocol (with 868 MHz) while tado° X works using Thread (2.4 GHz) and Matter. This means that both product lines are not directly compatible—although there are ways to control both product lines using different Home accounts. You can read more about tado° X's compatibilities in the article I've linked below.

• kludgie
    kludgie
    edited May 15

So basically Tado have decided not to fix the range issue on existing hardware with only allowing a single bridge per home and rolled out a whole new incompatible platform requiring the replacement of our entire V3+ infrastructure which will potentially solve the problem.

It would be nice if they offered a reasonable trade-in upgrade package, but I doubt that's going to happen.

• martini
    martini Volunteer Moderator

This post says, that you can just buy a secondary bridge and just not register it to your account and it will still catch all your V3+ devices and keep them happy and connected… If I would have to wager a guess, the whole pairing and registering is really just to keep a record which thermostat belongs to which account and not an actual pairing between bridge and thermostats…

(Also not super surprised to see that the new X Bridge does not support V3 devices… If I'm right, that's more or less just an EspressIf ESP32 in a fancy package - and those do not have any 868MHz capabilities on board.)

Depending on what you would consider a reasonable trade-up offer, you might want to check with your employer: Mine has signed up for a portal called "Corporate Benefits" which offers quite substantial discounts on tado-hardware… That, paired with selling your existing stuff on ebay might probably allow you to upgrade for less than 50% of the regular sales prices…

• So Corporate discounts are being offered while existing customers of many years are given zero discounts? Nice.....
  • cuke2u
    cuke2u ✭✭
    edited May 15

I cannot see any receiver only a internet bridge, so how does that work with uk boilers? Both the links give me page 404 not found.

Ah found it https://www.tado.com/de-en/installation-new

But there doesn't appear to be a boiler receiver listed...

• martini

So Corporate discounts are being offered while existing customers of many years are given zero discounts? Nice.....

Well, from what I can tell, this is not a new development, is it? When I sign up as a new customer for a mobile phone contract / internet subscription, my provider will woo me with steep discounts, free hardware, and whatnot. Whereas when it is time to renew, I get to pay the going rate or leave and then become a new customer again… So… 🤷

(Also, i think, those CB-discounts are generally offered by the reseller and coming out of their commission and not directly from the company…)

• hugbilly
    hugbilly ✭✭✭
    edited May 15

Very, very, disappointing, and a slap in the face to existing tadoº users. Wish I'd been Wiser in the first place . . .

NB, I also note the rather surprising statement that: "Compared to the v3+ range, tado° X products are compatible with a smaller array of modulating boilers."

• Emcee
    Emcee Admin

Hello @cuke2u

As you pointed out, the UK has different heating system compatibility requirements than Europe. tado° therefore developed its new Wireless Receiver X with the UK market in mind. This new receiver is expected to be available for purchase in autumn, at which point the full tado° X range will be available in the UK.

tado° will of course continue to support and update its previous generations considering hundreds of thousands of customers still rely on these and are happy with their current set-ups.

• cuke2u
    cuke2u ✭✭

Thanks @Emcee I await more information..

• Vamp
    Vamp

@hugbilly

New one seems only support relay or OpenTherm…. sad news a lot of users….

• Viki
    Viki ✭✭
    Bit Disappointed, existing product not supporting matter. They could have update tado bridge to matter and support V3 product matter over WiFi.
  • I'll be wanting to find out what will happen to the old products now. I don't deny that ultimately, product lines need to be refreshed to support new capabilities, but will new software, features, functionality continue to be added for V3/V3+ system owners? Or will it end up getting left behind?

• Raiden85
    edited May 15

Nice to hear tado will still be supporting the previous generations as I just installed V3+ throughout my house just 5 months ago, so no way in hell am I replacing all of that for no benefit to me as the current system has been working perfectly so far.

Between the main thermostat, 6 smart valves and 6 wireless thermostats for each room because putting the temperature sensor next to heat source is a terrible idea despite changing the offsets, that's a lot of money already and swapping over all of that in less than 6 months is certainly not worth it despite having a lot of devices that already make use of thread.

• rw95
    rw95

How frustrating, I've literally just spent hundreds of £s on V3+ smart TRVs! Lots of questions:

• Do I just return them (I'm still within the 14 day return period) and buy the tado X smart trvs when they are released here?
    • Are prices of the V3+ going to come down now?
    • What are the advantages of the X system - if its relates mainly to connectivity issues I don't need to worry as mine has been working perfectly
    • Does the Tado X system remove more features behind a monthly subscription fee?

• martini

Do I just return them (I'm still within the 14 day return period) and buy the tado X smart trvs when they are released here?

Me, personally, I would definitely go with the X if you just bought them and you don't mind the premium over the V3+-prices - just for the "more new is more better in the long run"…

What are the advantages of the X system - if its relates mainly to connectivity issues I don't need to worry as mine has been working perfectly

Does the Tado X system remove more features behind a monthly subscription fee?

From what I've been able to see so far, from a functionality-standpoint, X is just newer/prettier hardware with a new protocol, but everything else in the app is exactly the same as before… If you only looked at the app by itself and not the hardware, you would probably not find any/many differences…

(A german youtuber mentioned, that X now allows setting a max temp of 30 instead of just 25 - but to be fair: I don't know many people who would even set the heating past 25°…)

• Emcee
    Emcee Admin

Hello @rw95,

As Martini indicated, ultimately it's up to you.

If you know that V3+'s Internet Bridge is capable of reaching all corners of your living space, then one of tado° X's main benefits (extending devices' reach using thread border routers) is probably not that interesting to you.

We don't expect considerable changes in prices— at least in the near future—as V3+ is still in high demand. We will continue to update and support V1, V2, V3, and V3+ devices and services.

The subscription, called Auto-Assist, and its features are the same whether with V3+ or tado° X.

• mperedim
    mperedim ✭✭

So IKEA, which mostly builds furniture, can release a Matter hub that is backwards compatible but Tado, which is supposedly an IoT company, cannot? At the very least be honest. Rather than saying in your press release "Because tadoº X is built on a new communication standard, it is not compatible with earlier tado° products" you could write that "just because we couldn't care less, tado X is not compatible".

• rw95
    rw95

I do notice that the website linked to above https://www.tink.at/b/tado has slashed the prices of its V3+ hardware!!

• screenshot taken form Tado's website … v3+ "future-proof" it says; right!

• rorschar
    rorschar
    edited May 16

Will be a trade option from Tado?

I would like to 'sell' the V3 equipment to buy the new Tado X

• Emcee
    Emcee Admin

@rorschar

Unfortunately, there are currently no plans to offer a trade-in or upgrade schemes.

• So existing V3 equipment not compatible, hence a useless development not putting the customer first.
    Therefore x system will NOT be considered.
    TADO rethink this!

• Bunglehaze
    edited May 16
    Personally speaking I've been looking for other solutions than Tado while waiting for the V3 to be replaced with an upgraded version so at least I can have an exit planned if whatever version was announced was not really any better.

Questions I have and I can't see answered for X.

Is it going to plagued by the same issues as V3, curves only being set by Tado with no ability to let the user override if their home requires it , or no real learning capability that would allow a degree of intelligence on when a user needs more or less heat. Essentially we just have just a thermostat that's controlled elsewhere to someone else's setting, that's not smart at all.

Is the weather compensation going to be any effective? Anything beyond doesnt seem to work would be an improvement. Too many times my Tado has failed to heat my house on cold snap days, or overrun on warmer days.

Is it any more compatible with my boiler , I pretty much know that my Glow Worm is not going to be able to modulate still which is a huge sticking point in having an expensive on off switch.

Having to tweak my offsets and settings between different seasons is irritating, has anything been improved in the UI that will allow users to do more with THEIR device. Probably also linked to weather compensation not feeling like it's working to be fair but still something I feel is missing.

Can I set my own temperature in the UI yet? I don't heat my home to 20c so seeing an interface option telling me that my house is too cold is actively unhelpful. Again too much control by Tado, not enough for the customers application.

Are the rad stat TRVs compatible? If that's a no then that's a huge e-waste problem, more electronics that end up in landfill when they needn't be. The only reason I'm still even considering upgrading Tado rather than getting rid of it is due to the price of investment in things like the TRVs so Tado are shooting themselves in the foot expecting customers to rebuy everything from scratch , then set it all up again.
  • FFM
    FFM ✭✭

Am I the only one who just bought a complete V3 set (moved and left the old installation in) and I couldn't care less about X coming out? Visually, I prefer the V3 TRV (all white), the X looks a bit more clunky. Maybe I would like them eventually but just for looks, I prefer to stay with V3.

I never had issues with reaching the V3 TRVs. I assume if you have, you have sold your V3s (as so many angrily complained on this board and threatened xyz) and can now use X. Awesome.

It would/will be easy for Tado to add new features (same brain, just different channels to the heaters) for both. Not sure what they could possibly add but if it is software, I am sure I will see it on mine as well. If not, then that is also cool. My V3 works.

Some outbursts here are interesting…