Support more than 10 rooms and 25 devices

13»

Comments

• @Jurian
    Firmware can be (and is) updated, so curious as to why this isn't the case for this?

Wiser have a limit at 16 rooms and 32 devices. From what I've seen so far online Bosch appear to have no limit on rooms.
  • @Ben_UK You're right that firmware can be updated, but actually that may not help if the device running the firmware does not have the hardware resources (perhaps RAM) to accommodate the outcome of that change.

Simplistically, from a technical perspective, each room is going to require a certain amount of RAM, NVRAM or other re-writable storage to hold the information required for a room. Let's imagine for a moment that the requirement per room is 1KB per room. The difference between being able to operate 10 rooms and 16 rooms is therefore 6KB more storage. If the device running the firmware doesn't have that extra storage space, then changing the firmware to operate for more than 10 rooms is not going to help, in fact more likely to introduce a bug.

Before anyone tells me that 1KB is tiny, and that modern computers think in MB or GB for storage like this, then I would agree (and I am illustrating the principal, not stating Tado facts). But in the world of micro power consumption (and some of these devices are running for extended periods, operating relays and motors to open mechanical valves and connecting to wireless hubs on a 24x7 basis using just 2xAA batteries) you quickly find that CPU clock speeds, storage devices and other components are working in very different capacities and speeds in order to be viable. The obvious way to solve the problem is to update the hardware platform that is the limitation as a V4 hardware release and allow people such as ourselves to purchase the higher capacity if we require it.

The underlying design question is why some of these things are now not being stored and manipulated in the cloud platform, and then the control devices (receiver) can simply be sent the command signals from the cloud platform for open/close and can transfer data points from the local measuring devices to the cloud platform. In that situation, then some of these constraints start to become much less of an issue or even disappear completely.

@Jurian I assume that the receiver is the device with the real hardware limitations, do Tado plan to increase the capacity of the system in a future hardware update ? I appreciate that the forum is the voice for a comparatively small number of fringe use case "power users", but that doesn't mean that some longer term planning couldn't accommodate these needs, even if there is no simpler answer today.

I would also refer back to some of my earlier comments about PAYG licensing based on features enabled and numbers of thermostats, TRVs and zones being used as a way to fund these kind of use cases.

• @XKRMonkey

I do understand the limitations of RAM etc, but do feel if this is the case this is poor ongoing product design by Tado.

Regardless of the ability to call for heat or not whichever piece of Tado kit that is operating my TRV's must have the hardware ability to operate up to 25 devices. All my TRV's are continually managed by whichever piece of hardware which is able to send instructions for it to work correctly, that piece of hardware therefore has the capability to instruct 25 devices. I do not see why it can not listen to all 25 for both a temp reading and a call for heat command.. something every individual TRV can do if setup to do so.

Additionally all my TRV's are V2 and I believe my Extension Kit is reasonably new hardware.
    The TRV's themselves should not pose a problem as individually it should not matter if they are part of the 10, or how many others are part of the 10 that are able to call for heat or if they are 'independent'. The hardware within all my TRV's is the same. Therefore the computing hardware within the TRV surely cannot be the issue, I cannot believe TRV's are talking to one another to call for heat.
    I am not using the Smart Thermostat to control anything other than one rooms temperature. It is powered by batteries and it is part of the 10, however it is not a zone controller and therefore is doing nothing other than calling for heat just like a TRV would.

So I'm left wondering if the Extension Kit or the Bridge is the issue? Both are mains powered and (hopefully!) over the years both have been improved upon since v1. I apologise that I am uncertain of the history of Tado hardware, however I imagine both could have been developed to allow increases in both the 25 maximum devices and the limit of 10 issues.

So, i still fail to see why a firmware upgrade could not increase the limit from 10. I can only imagine either the Bridge or Extension Kit hardware (V3+) still has the limitations, Tado simply do not want to increase it, or (and I cannot fathom how this would be an issue) their cloud infrastructure would not cope.

Whatever the reason, I am left frustrated still trying to decide which TRV's to allow to call for heat and which not to do so.