Improve Internet Bridge so it reconnects automatically

The Internet bridge often disconnects from the Internet leaving the Tado system unusable.

Please improve its firmware so it reconnects automatically as every other IoT I have does.

Currently, the only option is to power cycle which is unacceptable when it happens at 4am, and we wake up to a cold house....

21 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Chimmy
    Chimmy
    edited December 2020

I've had Tado for about a year and this has happened on average once a month. I'm just installing a smart timer to turn the bridge off for a few minutes every hour or so. Not a great solution but it beats waking up to a cold house.

• Ditsy
    Ditsy ✭✭

Nobody with 'smart' heating should be experiencing unexpectedly cold homes. The system is currently failing a fundamental requirement to follow the set schedule. Something that dumb heating systems have no problem with. If the Tado system loses connection to the servers, be that through loss of Internet, or for other reasons, it is essential that it has a robust coping mechanism in place. Until this is resolved, this is not a 'smart' system, and worse than that, it seems to me that it's a highly undesirable system to install in homes where anyone is infirm or elderly. This issue needs to be urgently addressed.

• I agree this is urgent. I've just installed a Tado system, and I'm pretty impressed. But I have a technophobe wife who will jump at any occasion to point out that the so-called "smart" system is dumb. And recently, when the wireless receiver got disconnected and stuck in the ON position, and all the radiators ended up getting ridiculously hot in the middle of the night when they were supposed to be 18°, she had a perfect opportunity. Please, please fix this.

• Agreed - a truly smart system would recognise it has a problem and reboot itself. Crazy that it has to wait until I'm home to press it's button for it to bother.

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭

Hi fellow Tado users,

I'm sure that in a response to another post on this subject......I stated that "you will need to re-connect your bridge once your internet is operational again" ........and I was "shot down" by another user who stated that their "bridge always re-connected automatically" when their internet came back on line.

So......does it or doesn't it......I've not had an issue with my internet/bridge.....so I can't say for sure.

• johnbur
    johnbur ✭✭
    @GrayDav4276 not related to loss of Internet for me. The bridge just randomly loses connection and can only be brought back to life by powering off/on.
    Conversely, it survives short Internet outages fine....
  • In 3 Jul 2017, 12:13 CEST I already reported tis issue 

I discovered this issue with the Cisco Switches and Tado support reproduced this issue. after sending logs and screenshots.

issue is related to the Lan Chip in the bridge which is actually worse than in the orginial Bridge.

This chip is connection with Half Duplex-10 MBs/s while the old Bridge connecting as 100 MB/s - Full Duplex , however speed and duplex suppose not have any impact.

The old bridge did not have any reconnection issue 

I resolve this issue by hard setting lan port on the Cisco Switch, which will be impossible on the generic LAN ports such as routers and non-managed switches.

Message send to tado:

3 Jul 2017, 12:13 CEST 

Hi Tado

Can I Please raise an urgent issue regards to the new bridge

Issue : when the switch or the router which the new bridge is connected to has been rebooted , the bridge is not refreshing settings and stop communicate with the clod services.

the bridge must be restarted by unplug the USB cable !!

hard reset the bridge did not resolve this issue

To reboot the main device was not an issue with the old bridge which was working perfectly and refreshed all setting instantly.

• I fully agree with you @johnbur 😀. Hopefully Tado is working on it and manage at high priority. This internet bridge is the bottleneck of the whole system can destroy all good reputation.

• As a long standing customer with a whole house full of Tado devices (£££), and a toddler and 6 month old in the household depending on a reliable heating system, I will add that we have started to have this issue within the last couple of weeks.

I am disappointed and quite disgusted that Tado support haven't responded to the numerous calls for action on this really important issue. Something must have been changed on Tado's side recently (firmware update)?
  • @Rishimehta - a response from Tado support team: “ A few weeks ago we released the 82.1 firmware update for our smart thermostats. We quickly found out that less than 1% of wired thermostats experienced problems immediately after updating. You'd see these thermostats losing their wireless connection almost constantly. So, we stopped the rollout of the update for the remaining devices.”