[Release] OpenTherm Max Flow Temperature setting

Options
13»

Comments

• GrayDav4276
    Options

I'm beginning to feel that even tado° doesn't actually know what the outcome will be if the Max Flow temperature is "set" by the various options........this is just not very professional imho

@johnnyp78

I originally got tado° Support to set mine to 60° C but I have adjusted it a couple of times since then......I'll have to monitor it to check exactly what setting is being used.......what a flipping pita

• johnnyp78
    Options
    @GrayDav4276 it’s definitely responding to temp changes made in the Tado pro app now. Might have just needed a restart first.
  • andyblac
    andyblac ✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Options

@GrayDav4276 @johnnyp78 I found that setting the Max Flow to the default 80˚c and let the flow rate change to what it's needs, found to give me the best results, I have only seen it hit 80˚c once and was when my outside hit -3, and was a 3 bar demand in heat, and it only lasted 10 mins, then started to modulate back down to 45˚c, most of the time my current flow rate is at 30-36˚c, so IMO if your using OpenTherm I see NO benefit in redicing the Max Flow Rate, in fact it makes things worse. If you use "Relay" and "Weather Compensation" I can see it helping a ot more.

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Options
    This is what I want to test. Up until now I’ve been fine with the max flow temp set to 55c. If Tado can stay below that unless it’s extremely cold I’m fine with turning up the max flow temp. If it keeps ramping up to 80c, back down the max flow temp goes.
  • andyblac
    Options

@johnnyp78 might take few days to learn new flow temps. changing the Max Flow messes with the AI.

• andyblac
    andyblac ✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Options

@johnnyp78 here is yesterdays graph for my media room.

as you see bumping 1.5˚c at -2 outside caused a 2 bar demand, it would only have had about 42-48˚c flow temp temp for about 20 mins, before modulating back to normal around 32˚c.

• johnnyp78
    Options
    Yeah, I’ll give it a few days while it’s cold. I know it needs to update its PID stats. Not a fan of the scorching hot radiators at the moment though, I liked having ones that were warm to the touch!
  • LtGruber
    Options

Very strange, I checked again yesterday thinking "you never know", and the max. flow temp. was set at 62°C after all, which is the test value I had input on November 30th. So apparently it does work, but it comes with a ridiculously long delay.

I've set it back to 60°C yesterday, but I've just checked this morning, and it's still at 62°C.

So I guess I'll have to give it a couple of days again before the value changes.

Makes it pretty useless when reacting to a cold snap however: by the time the setting has changed on your boiler, outside temps could have risen again.

• andyblac
    Options

@LtGruber 62˚c is within tolerance, there is a 5˚c tolerance of max flow depending on boiler and internal components.

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Options
    @andyblac
    Where have you seen the comment regarding the 5°c tolerance level ?? 🤔
  • LtGruber
    Options
    I was actually referring to the setpoint being sent from the thermostat to the boiler, not the actual water temperature itself. That setpoint can be read out on my boiler.
    That has been 60 degrees (at full throttle) for 5 years (since I installed my tado), and now it suddenly is 62 degrees, exactly the temp. I had put in the pro app 11 days ago.
    That's a bit too much to be a coincidence.
  • andyblac
    andyblac ✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Options

@GrayDav4276 it was when I noticed my current flow was getting above my max flow (at the time 65˚c, when max flow was 60˚c) awhile ago, Jurian replied to me with

"@andyblac Happy to hear it, small tolerance is completely normale due to sensor positioning and PID control of the boiler itself when it comes to how much gas should be burned."

• How frequently does the server read out the current flow temperature from the device ?

I am referring to the "Updated: X minutes ago" under the "Data can be read from the boiler" section.

• Alinoe
    Options

I have set the max flow to 55 degrees so why the hell does the boiler speed up to 80 degrees even though both on the front panel (just in case) and in the app I have it set to 55 degrees?

• Alinoe
    Options

That is, as I understand it, using the installer app will not change the flow settings of my Ideal Combi Plus boiler. Just manual option with a knob.

• johnnyp78
    Options
    Did you try cutting the power after changing the settings? On my ideal boiler if you don’t do that, the max flow temp setting takes about a day to change.
  • @Alinoe , switch boiler and tado ext off for approx 30 mins, then switch back on.
  • vmguru
    Options

This is a very interesting read, I am about to swap over from Hive to Tado with Opentherm on a Vaillant ecotech 28 pro boiler using the ebus. My daytime temps is set at 20c on the Hive between 6am and 10pm I am finding the temps are overshooting 20c is the Tado have smooth and steady temps?

What does a Tado Openterm temps chart look like?

• gary333
    gary333 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Options
    My Tado on Ecotec 938 via eBUS always overshoots to start with by up to 0.5oC however once at temp it maintains temperature at todays temps at +\- 0.1 to 0.2oC according to the graph. However things like how you are using the system and anti cycling times will play it’s part, so it could be worse if the boilers oversized.
  • TDF60
    Options

Hello,

I have been reading all this trail with great interest.

I have an Atlantic 4124 Opentherm connected to Tado and I having some issues.

The first one it that the max Temp for Hot water is set in the App at 55° and the boiler heat the water at 60°.

Is there a way to sniff the Opentherm communication between Tado and a boiler.

Is there any log that can be look at? Maybe in the bridge?

• Montage
    Options

Because OT is not a bus protocol, you’d need to provision a gateway to see the communication.

• yolkhovyy
    yolkhovyy
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Is this feature available on Tado web API? As long as the installer app can set max flow temperature - there is an endpoint for that I guess. Is there a chance that it becomes public? Then it'd be possible to adjust the max flow temperature by season or weather automatically.
  • Verwarmd
    Verwarmd
    edited October 2023
    Options

there is:

just use Select boiler model & check setup status – tado° installers in browser with dev tools open.

you can see there is a PUT call on https://my.tado.com/api/v2/homeByBridge/IBxxxxxxxxxx/boilerMaxOutputTemperature?authKey=xxxx

with payload: {

"boilerMaxOutputTemperatureInCelsius": 70

}