Home Suggestions, Ideas and Improvements

Disable TRV "calibration" when offset is changed [required for using external sensor]

As you may have read elsewhere on this forum, myself and other Tado users have been working on ways to make Tado TRVs more usable by using cheaper external sensor to read the actual room temperature and dinamically update the temperature offset of the valves with great results.

The only drawback of that is that we have to limit the frequency at which we update the offset; this is because everytime the offset is updated (either manually via the app, which everyone can experience, or automatically via the API) the valve moves the spindle for reasons that nobody understands; this is a waste of energy and creates unnecessary noise.

If this was disabled in the next firware update, I'm sure many will appreciate it.

54 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Like jacopo2 said, the motor operates every time an offset is put. This opens the radiator full blast. Even though it's only for a second, it can significantly increase the temperature of the room, rendering the much needed offset feature counter productive at best if you're using it to dynamically correct the room temperature. Disabling dazzle does not resolve this.

• @Jacopo2

As a curiosity, does it do the same unnecessary calibration if a real Tado Smart Thermostat is used as the reference external sensor?

• Jacopo2Jacopo2 ✭✭✭
    @jelockwood no, it doesn’t do any calibration when the measuring device is a Smart Thermostat; I just tried

it’s really annoying; the TRVs even recalibrate when I ‘change’ the offset from 0 to 0 (i.e. I apply the existing offset from the app)
  • Agree - this is really annoying and limits how useful being able to set the offset dynamically is. Please can you fix this tado?

• Agree for all the reasons mentioned by others.
  • Fix it please, very annoying
  • This sounds like a very easy fix. Can we get someone to comment on when a fix can be made?

• Agree, it should be simple yet very useful

• +1 can be get this fixed?

• Please Tado, can you fix this?
  • This is a very good idea, much better than Tado very expensive new "solution" (re-hashed Thermostat)

• Please fix it Tado !

• Can this be fixed, please?
  • Agree, it should be fixed as it's very easy to fix.

• +1, please fix, would be very useful.

• @Jacopo2

May I ask where can I find “dynamic offset” solution that you and other members of the community are working on?

I am new to tado, but the TRV inaccuracies is annoying me.

I “hacked” the 25° limit by putting an extra tado TRV in same room as another tado TRV. The one that’s not at the heat source reading 22°, the one at installed at the radiator reads 28°!