Launch a range extender or upgrade to mesh network

Options

Comments

• GrayDav4276
    Options
    400+ votes.......and obviously tado either can't or won't do anything about it.
  • CIW
    CIW
    edited January 2023
    Options
    400 is not large compare to 3 million thermostats sold. Even if that equates to 300,000 customers it’s .13%

https://techcrunch.com/2023/01/26/european-smart-thermostat-startup-tado-raises-46-8m-after-ipo-plans-falter/
  • Robbie
    Robbie ✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Compare it to users able to find and visit this forum AND taking the effort to actually cast a vote.
    Don’t obliviously calculate yourself into richness.

400+ is immensely high compared to the amount of users visiting this suggestions-forum.
  • GrayDav4276
    Options

To be perfectly honest.......the total number of customers is not really relevant......any manufacturer/system provider "should" always address any customer based issues, and should also keep their customers appraised of what their ( tado) potential action is likely to be.........imho

• CIW
    Options
    The point I was trying to make is that for less than .2% of the customer base they aren’t likely to spend a lot of money changing the product totally. And I interpret their responses as indicating that no other solution is available.
  • GrayDav4276
    Options

@CIW

I totally agree with your assessment......I just think it's very disappointing from tado.

• FlorianC
    Options

I am too affected by the fairly short range.

I have a 2nd bridge, so two Tado Homes, to get around the range limitation.

That however brings a number of downsides with it.

There is a lengthy thread about this in the german community as well.

https://community.tado.com/de/discussion/1413/signalverstaerker-repeater-funkreichweite-erhoehen-thermostate-bridge#latest

• jjloose
    Options

I agree with this. Tado must ensure that there are ways for its products to be installed in any property. A small property with thicker internal walls or a larger property both present significant problems. This is particularly significant because there are big challenges or costs to install a Tado system and so we must know that it will work before we install it!

I like our Tado system, but it is a pain having to keep the dongle in just the right place in the house to ensure that connections are not dropped and they sometimes do drop. The house is only a two-story 7m x 7m property. There should not be problems like this!

• Jimuk
    Options
    Has there been an update to this yet?

I see 2 serious flaws in the tado product range. This being the biggest one and the fact there is no off line mode.
  • johnnyp78
    Options
    I doubt anything will be done until Tado launches its next generation of hardware, which could still be years away.
  • EmJay
    Options
    It's utterly useless. If I'd seen this before my return period closed then I'd have returned it. I don't have a large house but it drops connections all the time. As someone else has observed, it isn't just the freezing cold mornings where it dropped overnight but the countless hours I've been paying for heating that has stuck in the on position.

Moving a bridge around without any feedback hoping for a miracle is a joke. Even when it works, it then randomly stops working again within a day.

What a waste of money :angry:
  • Robbie
    Robbie ✭✭✭
    Options
    This really is the slowest moving company I have ever come across. The level of incompetence is rare.
  • CBS
    Options
    Just joining the list of Tado customers that need a range extender. I bought another wireless sensor for our kitchen and now two radiator valves are dropping out all the time. We have had random drop offs since putting in Tado but now permanent loss of connection across some of our 11 radiator valves.

Please Tado do something to help customers who have invested heavily in your product
  • johnbur
    Options
    They are not going to fix this. All has gone quiet, and no one from Tado responds on these forums anymore. They are too focused on their supadoopa new hardware that may or may not be backward compatible with what we have already. Due out in 2024??
  • GrayDav4276
    Options

Never going to happen.........

• DarrenNI
    Options

Yet another customer who's thinking of abandoning a large investment in Tado hardware due to their complete inability to solve the range issue.

An absolutely disgraceful way to treat loyal customers.

• anonymous
    Options

I see 2 serious flaws in the tado product range. This being the biggest one and the fact there is no off line mode.

Drayton is not as fancy but does the job. If this isn't resolved soon, i'm going to switch.

• CIW
    CIW
    edited February 2023
    Options
    The offline mode is definitely an issue and I’d have thought it might be more easily soluble than the range extender farrago!
  • PeteratGL
    Options
    I did have dropouts, in our bungalow, so I resited the bridge to a more central place but still had dropouts. I lifted it higher away from the Wifi device and that seems to have solved the problem. I am wondering if the supplied data cable is a too short and the WiFi hub is interacting with the Tado hub, maybe a longer cable will help.
    I am very happy with the system now I have tuned it, but I do find the responsiveness from Tado somewhat concerning.
    I am surprised that Tado can't find a suitable repeater at a reasonable cost, to help people with dropout issues.
    Drayton seem to be aware of this issue and have a repeater in their product line... so its not impossible to fix.
    I do hope Tado will make any new system backward compatible. Because if I have to replace everything, to upgrade, I will be looking at competitors products.
  • Geoffmoss
    Options
    These uses the same frequency as a helium miner, has anyone tried a booster for helium?
  • Nick23
    Options

I have the same issue with my tado system, only after very careful positioning of the bridge did I get any consistency in communication to the valves and controls. I cannot extend the system to our top floor because of the range limitations of the tado bridge. As a result I have a system that cost a lot of money but does not do the complete job.

Can the Technical Director of tado please come onto this forum to explain exactly what the company have done / are proposing to do about this problem?

Can the Quality Director of tado please come onto the forum to explain exactly how they have allowed such a high volume and critical product issue that some users are pleading to be resolved, to be ignored by the company for so long?

I suggest all users go back to thier purchases of the tado system on Amazon etc and write up a very poor review comment and give one or two stars, also to slate them on social media, we need to hit them where it hurts until they bother to listen and fix thier problem.

PS The Wiser system that a friend of mine purchased has the ability to extend range with repeaters, it looks a good system and ultimatly tado will wither and fail IF THEY DO NOT LISTEN TO THIER CUSTOMERS!

• johnbur
    johnbur ✭✭✭
    Options
    @Nick23 nobody from Tado looks at these forums anymore, so good luck with your requests...
  • what_a_tado
    Options

@Nick23 It has often been suggested that disgruntled users write poor reviews on Amazon but it doesn't seem to have much of an impact as Tado are constantly getting 90% 3 stars and above.

It seems that the majority of their customers are happy with their products.

• Pete
    Pete ✭✭✭
    Options
    Many users have extremely basic requirements, ie replacing one central stat. That's why 'most' users are happy.
  • Robbie
    Robbie ✭✭✭
    Options
    Also consumers rate their product right after purchase. Out of the box Tado appears just fine.
  • R_G
    Options
    This is a significant and major shortcoming of the system. The fact that it is unfixable is ridiculous. What bothers me most is that I don't recall any mention of this in any of the advertising or any of the 'reviews' that I saw online.
    We move house soon. We will not be installing Tado.
  • Wezly
    Options
    I’m new here, joined the forum specifically to seek out this feature request. Luckily I bought a kit second hand so I’m not in to this as much as others here but still want to add my vote!

I won’t be buying any more tado hardware (I didn’t get any TRVs yet) until there is a solution to the range issue.

For now I’ve moved the bridge in to the boiler cupboard with the wireless receiver.
  • RodneyRabbit
    Options

Another victim checking in.

In my mid-sized 3 storey house I have the bridge in the centre, I followed all the suggestions, change the orientation, move the bridge around. I only have problems when turning the heating OFF though. 100% of the time, my heating switches on fine, but 95% of the time, when I switch it off I hear the TRVs close, but the receiver keeps calling for heat, the boiler stays on, heating water and pumping it round the bypass loop. They say it's due to signal problems and I need to move the bridge. It would be a massive coincidence to never have signal problems when turning heat on but almost always when turning heat off , for many months. Still they insist it's a signal problem. But they won't share any technical info with me, just that repeated statement we all know to move the bridge.

Also they told me the heat should only stay on for 30 mins with no signal, but mine stays on for hours and it uses so much more gas than my old system, I can't afford this any more. I have only left it on for 4 hours max before turning off at the wall. But 4 hours is a lot longer than the 30 mins they claim it would stay on with no signal.

When I ask them specific things in the chat, they literally ignore everything and spew out the same repeated nonsense.

IT'S NOT SMART HEATING if tado response is 'move the bridge' and 'turn the boiler off at the plug'. I literally had to spend winter turning heat on for 20 mins then go to the boiler and turn off, otherwise it would stay on and cost me so much in gas. How can I use any of the smart features if I have to run around in the house moving things and switching the boiler off manually?

So I've been asking to return my kit under warranty / consumer rights because it's simply not a good product and not up to the task of reliably managing a home.

But they refuse to answer all questions about warranty and the legal aspects, instead after a day or so someone new comes on the chat and they just go back to square one and repeat the same thing about moving the bridge around.

Then this morning I went to respond to the recent copy paste from yesterday about moving the bridge, and all my chats have been deleted.

As I am still in warranty, it feels like intentional delay tactics. I just want to uninstall and return everything but it feels like that is being avoided.

I'm not interested in pursuing this through chat any longer. Does anyone know a way of contacting them via email or post, because I want to make clear in writing while in warranty my intention to return the kit, then they can try to delay as long as they want, I will take it to small claims court with evidence that I notified them during warranty.

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    Options
    If you click on more > info > terms and conditions in the app and look at section 9, you should see a discretionary return period of up to 12 months from purchase. There’s also an address for Tado head office in Germany, so you could try writing there.