Samsung Smartthings

124»

Comments

• +1 for Smartthings. Genuinely surprised such an emerging name in smart heating doesn't have this integration readily available.
  • Tado has an API. SmartThings just need to do the work.

• +1 for Smarthings Integration
  • +1 for SmartThings integration

• Since Tado is no longer working with Google Home (hot water at least), Smartthings integration would be appreciated.... But these requests started 4 years ago and I'm guessing it's falling on deaf ears.
  • Just in case anyone from Tado reads this - to be absolutely clear - Smartthings don't build integrations. They'll happily work with you, but you'll have to use the API to build the integration and offer it to them, and damn, I wish you would.

• +1 for smartthings integration! Currently only support for alexa or homekit and this is really limiting my routines. Hopefully you will take this seriously.
    Tx!
  • I Found a temporary and limited workaround, but far from ideal. But it might do the trick for some of you… so i’ll post what I did:
    If you create a virtual lock in smartthings, you can use the lock (unlock/lock) to trigger an alexa routine which then can have the action to turn on/off tado.
    Virtual switch does not work, you need to define a lock.
    Also I have no idea if you need to own an alexa device in order to use the alexa routine platform. I have one alexa dot and it works fine for me.
  • +1 for this! no need to spend a fortune on your AC controllerx3 when I have an AC designed to integrate with a smart home.

• @techydan

Your comment implies that your AC unit is designed to integrate as part of a smart home. I would think most people here would be saying that the overwhelming majority of AC manufacturers do not make their products able to integrate with smart homes.

If you are saying you have a brand that does integrate by itself please indicate the make and model.

It should be noted that whilst some brands do have WiFi connections for some smart home options this is often locked down to only working with their own proprietary mobile apps or wall controllers, e.g. Samsung.

• Has anyone had any update from Tado or spoken to their customer service recently?

I'm going to reach out to them to try and get a line. After 4 years and nearly 100 upvotes (from people who can be bothered to create an account - so there will surely be many times that number who would benefit / like SmartThings integration) you'd think Tado would at least let the quarter of a billion SmartThings users know if they are at least thinking about it?!

Will push them hard, seek an escalation etc, but if not may look at expending considerable resource into working around things including custom development. Shall post back what I hear from customer service.

Side note - I work in IT (cloud/infrastructure architect) but not particularly skilled in development / coding. Pretty sure we can get something here to work, even if you need to deploy a small microservice in a cloud (could be done with a single click deployment) which costs £0.20 a month or something to run as an integration layer. Anyone with development experience up for helping with a project? Can look to host something on GitHub.

• Any progress made, about integrating Tado in Smartthings?
    I think it's about time then! Don't you Tado staff?
  • smplcrtrs
    smplcrtrs
    edited November 2023

Hi,

I've created a community account specifically to add my support for Smartthings integration. Either that, provide Matter support so the Tado Hub can talk to other smart devices, or make the API truly open to the community with full documentation so that we can create workarounds like MQTT devices to bridge the gap.

Having ST integration would make your system so much more powerful. For instance:

• You would be able to use presence sensors and motion sensors provided by 3rd parties to help control house and room temperature.
    • You'd be able to use door/window sensors to accurately and immediately know when to turn off a TRV to avoid wasting heat.
    • You'd be able to strengthen your temp/humidity data from additional sensors within a room, improving the accuracy of your heating control.
    • You'd be able to exert control over things like extractor fans etc if humidity was high - for instance, heating a bathroom with an extractor fan running would be subtly different to one without.
    • You'd be able to receive alerts from ST if, for instance a CO detector alarms, allowing you to shut off the boiler immediately.
    • You'd be able to integrate the system with ST routines etc such as being able to set "holiday" mode or "away" mode, or "night time" mode directly from ST (which can integrate with security alarms, taking their armed/home state as direction).
    • You'd be able to integrate the system with additional heating modalities such as electric panel heaters or fan heaters, allowing you to increase the power and therefore attractiveness of your system without having to invest in R&D of new hardware which would probably never sell in sufficient quantities to be cost-effective. e.g. high current contactors such as the Shelly Pro range, or the myriad of smart sockets that are out there. They often provide power monitoring as well, so to be able to offer the ability to include the electrical costs of heating along with the gas costs would be a great facet for Tado's USP. Particularly if you do this in partnership with suppliers such as Octopus. Imagine the possibility of saying - "The Tado smart heating system works with suppliers and with Smartthings to provide intelligent switching between electrical heating and gas heating based on what is cheaper and greener at any moment in time". That's quite an attractive prospect to potential buyers.
    • You'd be able to use that integration to intelligently control things like using excess local solar electricity to heat water tanks or storage heaters, or the new electrically powered thermal battery-style boilers.
    • You'd be able to integrate that power management into Samsung's wider ST power management environment, making you more attractive to buyers.
    • You'd be able to allow for the Tado environment to be controlled from people's TVs etc - newer Samsung TVs have ST built in.
    • You'd be able to take into account hyper-local weather conditions from people's home weather stations, which can be incorporated into ST. e.g. "Detect temperatures dropping outside? Pre-heat house an hour earlier than usual", or "Weather report says cloudy and cold, but actually it's really sunny here? Decrease TRV temps", etc.
    • Finally, you'd be demonstrating to your existing, loyal users that you've got their interests at heart, and this'll lead to much better retention of those users over the years.
  • Just bought a house that has the tado thermostat and the radiator valves seemed like a nice addition to add myself to be able to control all rooms separate. But without nice integration to something like smartthings it looks way to limited in functionality.

Looks like this is not coming to this brand, sad. I guess because they just want to sell the subscription which I am absolutely not interested in. I want to save money not spend more.

For anyone looking for an alternative it seems like "popp" is a good option. It is a zigbee smart radiator valve. Seems like it does not need separate expensive thermostate or any other starting pack unlike tado does.

Also has window open detection, and unlike this brand it is compatible with smartthings.

Does anyone have experience with popp? Is it as good as it seems or is it to good to be true?

• We were going to connect 40 homes for elderly, but the lack of SmartThings support means we have to look for a competitor.
  • Samsung Smartthings already supports Matter. Matter is supported by - amongst others Google, Alexa and Apple Home/Siri.

Matter does apparently support thermostats since one model of Nest Thermostat has been updated to support Matter. Therefore as I have previously suggested to Tado they should add Matter support and this will also solve supporting Smartthings.

Unfortunately as others have also noted the pace of progress demonstrated by Tado in adding features or new products is glacial. :(