[Released] Launch an external temperature sensor for the Smart Radiator Thermostats

Comments

• All we need is to be able to use any external sensor through Smartthings for example.... I have 5 multipurpose sensors on windows, and a PIR sensor, all which have temperature sensors built in (btw I find those expensive at 25€ each, and that's still 70% cheaper than the ridiculous Tado sensor). So I have 6 temperature sensors around my house, plus 7 Tado TRVs, total 13 temperature sensors around my house, that cannot be used to control temperature because Tado decides they want to screw their current customers by not allowing 3rd party integration (Smartthings, hubitat, home assistant), and charge 80 euro for a stupid temperature sensor you already have around... They are using the same strategy as Apple. "It works, but just if you use our stuff, for 3x the price it should cost", except their "ecosystem" is not an ecosystem, is just a couple TRVs and an overpriced sensor, that can't be integrated with anything...
  • Sim
    Sim ✭✭

If you have vertical TRV's have a look at this thread for getting accurate TRV readings without buying the overpriced sensor.

https://community.tado.com/en-gb/discussion/7216/solution-for-smart-thermostat-radiator-valve-trv-inaccurate-temperature-measurement#latest

I have brought some and can confirm a vast improvement in temp accuracy.

• I been snooping around, there is at least one other brand that delivers the same. That is Comap, base price is about the same. Danfoss indeed delivers and angled one, from M30 to Danfoss, that would require an adapter, but could be price efficient.

• spennis
    spennis
    edited January 2021
    +1 Give us a simple and cheap temperature sensor. Not one with fancy temperature settings, just a simple one (one AAA or AA battery). I don't want my kids to fiddle with the temperature settings, which is inevitable on the current (and expensive!) temp sensor.
  • It say released at this topic. What is released? I can't find it!

• jcwacky
    jcwacky ✭✭✭
    @alterego The Tado “Wireless Temperature Sensor”: https://www.tado.com/gb-en/wireless-temperature-sensor-overview
  • Ok thanks. I was hoping for a < 50 euro solution. It's 70 now.

• I was trying to upvote this proposal, but seems to be closed. Why I cannot upvote it?
  • @RamonCar Because Tado's solution has been to launch the Tado “Wireless Temperature Sensor”: https://www.tado.com/gb-en/wireless-temperature-sensor-overview

• After the overwhelming call for a smaller, cheaper Wireless Temperature Sensor, I have opened a request here: https://tado.vanillacommunities.com/en-gb/discussion/8235/release-a-smaller-cheaper-wireless-temperature-sensor-for-the-smart-radiator-thermostats/

If you'd like to see Tado do this, go ahead and vote!

• Thanks, @jcwacky , done!
    If you agree I will share this link in the spanish tado forum for users to concentrate on one thread. I think we're not
    so takenn into account.
  • @RamonCar Of course! I wasn’t even aware there was a Spanish forum!
  • @jcwacky Thanks for opening a new topic on releasing a cheaper version of the temperature sensor. I am not making any promises other than this feedback is noted and passed on to our development team.

• 100% in agreement that Tado° must release an INEXPENSIVE remote temperature sensor. The current €80 "solution" is a sick money grab :-(

• I'm very happy with Tado overall

What are you happy with?

For me, I only have radiators, and this product is a complete failure.

The *only thing* this product really needs to do is adjust a valve based on temperature readings. But the temperature readings are way off, so the product cannot function.

But I would need to pay 100 euro each for a temperature sensor for each room. So that 180 euros per room.

Philips Hue offer a temperature/light sensor for 30 euros.

• @vjpr

What are you happy with?

My original starter kit also had the Smart Thermostat in it, so in this room, coupled with the SRTs I was very happy with how it all worked, plus the app etc.

If you only have SRTs then I can understand why you aren't happy.

Since, I posted this original request I no longer use any (mounted) SRTs as temperature sensors. I bought a couple of 2nd hand Smart Thermostats on eBay, I use unmounted SRTs as temperature sensors in a couple of rooms, and have set rooms like bathrooms to passive (e.g. independent mode).

So I'm now very happy with my whole setup. But still disappointed that Tado still doesn't offer an affordable wireless temperature sensor for the SRTs.

• @vjpr

I use these adapters to off set the tado trvs from the radiator. I find this solves to inaccurate temperature reading and now my system works really well.

Oventrop 1011450 Angle Adaptor

Check eBay and Amazon of you want to try one.
  • I bought three Tado temp sensors for 50 euro each which is reasonable. Had to go Black Friday plus energy company subsidy. This fixed three of my rooms.

But I have 6 rooms and it seems excessive.

My apartment entrance is currently at 23 degrees, but its actually 18.

@RichF Thanks for the tip! I will try that out.

• Its 31/01/2023 I have just bought some Tado TRV's and not happy with them after reading this post looks like tado external temp sensor is now £89.99 too expensive. I don't think there is any alternative solution? so I will be returning my TRV's and Tado system for full refund as this is not fit for purpose.

• Tado don't produce an External Temperature Sensor......?? 🤔
  • They do
    tado° Wireless Temperature Sensor - Wifi Add-On Product For Smart Radiator Thermostat - Digital Temperature Control For Active Heating Control - Easy DIY Installation - Save Energy and Heating Costs https://amzn.eu/d/aoE4EfT
  • @Jacopo2

An "External Temperature Sensor" is a sensor that is attached to an outside north facing wall and is used for true Weather Compensation.........you have quoted a tado° (indoor) Wireless Temperature Sensor........

• @GrayDav4276 In the context of this topic (look at the title), I think we all know what @Jacopo2 was referencing. It's external to the Smart Radiator Thermostat.

And yes, @Jacopo2, they are still too expensive!

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2023

@jcwacky & @Jacopo2

My fault for not realising that this thread was never about an "External Temperature Sensor" and was actually about a Temperature Sensor as an additional device to be used in conjunction with a SRT..........I should have read your ( @jcwacky ) original post title better and would have therefore realised the point(s) being made.......my bad 👎

But if it helps.......I agree with both your comments( @jcwacky & @Jacopo2 )

Now having said all that.......as I am very likely to be removing my tado devices after this current Winter period......I think that I'll probably scale back my comments in this Forum.......after all...... most of my 1.7k comments made have fallen on tado°s deaf ears.

So.....apologies for missing your point........

• Kris247
    Kris247
    edited July 2023

There is a FREE/NO money costing work around for this.

What i suggest you to do:

1 Set your room temp at max

2 Measure your room temp with an external thermometer

3 Once your room temperature reaches your desired temperature (displayed on ext. thermometer)go to your tado room settings and read out temp for your room.

4 There will be an offset between tado readout and thermometer readout, use this offset to set up your room temp planning

5 do this for every room

Yes, 21C° room temp will not be exactly 21C°, but feeling warm/cold is a feeling not exact science, so a degree/half degree more or less is in my opinion not an issue.

Just understand you'll have to work with an offset. It'll give you some headaches in the beginning but trust me after a while you'll get used to used to it.

• That doesn’t work @Kris247. Offset was applied always, also when the system is turned off by temperature. It was discussed here A LOT of times.
  • I just wanted to open a topic for this, but I see that's already fo years now buzzing around in the community.

My Smart Radiator Thermostats are connected to the radiators in sleepingrooms, but they are placed under windows behind the closest, curtains, or in a big room (6x3m) on the corner of a room. I would like to see and measure the room in the center/near the door inside the rooms. Or they can both measure it and then calculate what is the right thing to do for this room. That sounds in my idea smart :). For me it will be 4rooms where this is happening, 3 sleeping rooms and 1 home office. In the home office tado is not working enough so for now I'm heating that room with electric wired heater, but that's a flaw in my "Smart" system.

So in short, a wall-mounted wireless remote for connecting with the smart radiator, which only controls that room and will not cost a fortune (max 30/40eu) so I can make the rooms smarter.

How can we upvote this?

• Can we not as a workaround just get an internet thermostat for each room then use IFTTT to set the heating based on the third party thermostat?
  • Tado already sell a wireless temperature sensor that does just this. Why would they let you use a cheaper alternative?