Launch a range extender or upgrade to mesh network

Options

Comments

• Joead
    Options

@Jurian Thank you for the update.

Any update on the Thread/Matter enabled Tado hardware?

• Jurian
    Options

@joead No update on Thread/Matter. Aside from the fact that we are still a member ;)

Please note: As always, we are unable to share any information that is not yet made public via press releases. So please do not expect a major company update here.

• Redlands
    Redlands
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I have a three storey very large Victorian 8 bedroom house with a 3 room extension on the side. In total I have 12 radiators on the main building with the bridge centrally located to a mesh router. The 3 radiators on the extension will not connect due I guess to solid wall construction. Are there any plans to release new hardware like a repeater or a software fix. Is there any workaround? I'm just about to upgrade my boiler at a cost of £7k and will need some way to get the heating working on that part of the house. My energy assist plan is due for renewal, guess I'll cancel that for now until I have a solution. Any advice please?
  • @Redlands The answer is "no" but tado is unable to share that information because it has not yet been made public via press releases.

• Jeff_Cart
    Options
    There have been many cases of the receiver offline condition. I note that the wireless thermostat has never been offline at least in my situation even though it is about the same distance from the bridge. Often the suggested reconnect suggestions do not resolve the situation. A typical response from support is to locate the bridge closer to the receiver. For me, and I guess others, this is not convenient. I find it odd that the RF signal is not reliable throughout a medium sized 3 bedroom home. Reliability is a crucial part of any system. Im not a radio engineer but if the RF signal cannot be guarenteed throughout could you develop an RF repeater. Bit extreme I know but if it increases reliabilty must be a good thing.
  • Jeff_Cart
    Options
    Apologies I see this has already been suggested.
  • cawarra
    Options
    I agree that it is a huge flaw in what is otherwise a good system. I live in a 150 year old stone house with solid internal walls and there is no way that a central location will cover all the house. The solution is to buy a second Internet bridge and connect it to the Internet in the other part of the house. You cannot integrate with your existing setup, you need to establish a second account and second system. It's not a pretty solution but it works. My main disappointment with Tado is that support did not suggest this. 1/10 for customer support.
  • luteijn
    luteijn ✭✭✭
    Options
    I guess if they focus on being able to have more bridges linked to the same house, we'd be there. No need to develop new hardware for them then
  • Why do you consider having a dark mode in the app is more important than a range extender??? The range extender will mean selling your products to more clients, that have bigger houses.

I think this is the most important thing you should release because you have requests since 2017, so 5 years.

Also, your support team was not the best last time i talked with them.

• hjenkins
    Options
    Hi Jurian,

Adding tin foil around the radiator thermostats did help significantly, but it is still intermittent. I sense that a recommendation of 3rd party reflective materials could make a difference to those of us stuck with the current limitations. Could you provide a recommendation of signal enhancing materials that could help, tin foil is a bit of a ugly hack.
  • wafergold
    Options

Some major factory for TRV is upgrading their older products with Matter ( Leaderson for example.) .

This will improve the problem will all face with the distance limitation of TADO

Hopefully, you will have this very soon

Myself I could install Tado in a lot of our coliving & student housing projects. Today it's impossible due to the distance problem. In fact, Tado is just fine for small houses or apartments. You should make this clear in your advertisement.

• Jurian
    Options

@hjenkins Sorry, you already are providing me with new knowledge. I would not have suspected that adding tin foil would increase the connectivity.

I do not know of any tips/hints I could provide you with other than maybe putting tin foil behind the tado bridge (like a sattelite dish). This would allow you to direct the signal into a specific direction (in theory). I have seen some interesting pictures in this thread in the past of some creative solutions around the tado bridge.

• Why you don't develop new bridge with better capacities ?

Or new bridge with possibility to add extra bridges ?

• johnbur
    johnbur ✭✭✭
    Options
    @petervermeire What a good idea! Four years and counting....
  • stevearmstrong
    edited October 2022
    Options
    ^^^ in summary, we failed to tell you Tado was only for small properties and since most people don’t have an issue we’re not going to do anything to fix the problem. We (Tado) will not advise new customers of these limitations despite being fully aware of them for many years.

In the future we will launch a new product with better range support but it will not be backwards compatible with older devices and you older disappointed customers will get nothing.

You can try to stick tin foil, or move the gateway every few days or even remove TRVs from your configuration because despite you buying a stylish “set and forget” product we failed to advise you that for about 5% of our customers (the ones that spent the most too) that our product does not meet their requirements.

But really, what Jurian is saying is that nothing is fundamentally going to change and please can you loyal customers stop whinging about your disappointment in our poor product.
  • GrayDav4276
    Options
    If I had said that......I would have gotten into trouble.......I was "banned" for saying a lot less directly critical of tado°
    Criticism doesn't go down well at tado°
    I'm not sure if I should have said that either.
  • Robbie
    Robbie ✭✭✭
    Options
    Steve posted the perfect summary of my disappointment in Tado. I so regret my current setup. I wish to return it all.
  • luteijn
    luteijn ✭✭✭
    Options
    At least, the cloud should keep in mind if a certain VA hss gone dark (and it can see this, as it can display it as offline in the app), that it's last information should be disregarded.
    This won't save you if the internet goes out, or the bridge loses contact with the element(s) talking to the boiler, but at least you protect against the case of that remote radiator in the basement/garage/etc. going offline.

One would hope that there is already some sort of fail-safe in units that drive the boiler that decide to switch it off (and go to manual control only) if they lose contact with their bridge for more than X cycles of their firmware's main-loop.
  • mperedim
    Options

I personally don't buy the "we can't comment until it's public". Companies talk about roadmap and plans all the time (even Tado used to have a public roadmap). I appreciate that Tado prefers not to, but exceptions can be made. And it would buy a lot of good karma for people in this thread to get a simple confirmation whether the next-gen controller would be backwards compatible with existing SRTs or not; even if we get "no" for an answer, we would for sure appreciate the transparency, since we'd be able to make an informed decision whether to move on to another vendor or stick to the existing one (living with the existing limitation, hoping for a buyback discount sort of scheme when v4 is out or whatever).

Looking at what IKEA did with Dirigera/Tradfri, they announced early enough that they will release a new (Matter) gateway and that it will be backwards compatible. I'll stop short of jumping to conclusions, but if Tado had/has similar plans I don't see why they wouldn't call them out.

• lode_r
    lode_r ✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options

It's slightly off topic, but why is it that when all my STV's are connected fine in the Tado app, sometimes some STV's say 'no respons' in Homekit? Most of the time it's the same STV, sometimes at random. I post the question here, because apparently this is monitored by Tado people, on other communities I get very little respons. I've been in touch with support, but other than the usual proposed solutions; 'changing the IB position, no fridges, freezer etc.', no real solution. And I fail to understand why, when in the Tado app all is working fine, in Homekit is not, other than a miscommunication between the two.

• Robbie
    Robbie ✭✭✭
    Options

@lode_r The faulty Homekit integration is just one out of many things Tado does not acknowledge. They don't work on improvements either.

The advice to go around this is to disable Tado's Homekit integration, and use a third party Homebridge plugin. The following plugin did a great job, far more better then the Tado-app:

https://github.com/SeydX/homebridge-tado-platform#readme

• lode_r
    Options

@Robbie actually, it's not correct to state that Tado is Homekit compatible, in view of the communication problems and the poor function possibilities in Homekit. I'll wait untill 16.2 is out and see if there is any improvement, I doubt it. If not, back to Homebridge.

• Robbie
    Robbie ✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes you are right, Tado is not compatible in the way they integrated it. Unfortunately iOS 16.2 will not improve it. The issues are on the side of the Tado-app anyway. I found that disabling it in the Tado app and using Homebridge instead, was a breathtaking improvement :)
  • Pablo1
    Pablo1
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I’ve been quietly watching for updates on this theme since we spent hundreds of £’s earlier this year. We’ve lived with 25% of the TRVs not connecting to the bridge and therefore only working like a £5 valve - turns out this brand is pretty rubbish, hardware is not fit for purpose and yet all I now hear on the radio is Tado advertising their rubbish every day to more unsuspecting potential customers. I can tell you, for a majority of U.K. properties that are solidly built, this product is useless and rather than save money, the hundreds of £‘s you’ll waste buying it will never be recouped. That’s before you have to keep replacing batteries
  • lode_r
    Options

A small update on my remark on the Homekit issue 'no respons'. I placed a small cardboard with tin foil behind the 'problem STV's' and since then (fingers crossed) no 'no respons' anymore. But I will set up a proper Homebridge configuration with an older mac mini.

• Robbie
    Robbie ✭✭✭
    Options
    Today again a brand new day where my employees and customers are complaining that it’s cold. All because the tado-devices lost connection again and didn’t turn on the heat according to plan.

I am super embarrassed towards my customers, but am letting them all know that this is what you get when you install Tado equipment.

Develop the software for the use of a second bridge guys. It has been so many years now.. There really is no excuse anymore.
  • Robti
    Options

@Robbie thanks very much for this I use homebridge and didn’t even think about it as Tado seemed to work on HomeKit, but just set it up and the first thing that hits you is the auto/on/off button on the home page why couldn’t Tado have that

Thanks